Advice 2016 Equinox 2.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ippi76

Reaction score
Hi all,

First timer here- would appreciate any advice. I have a 2016 Equinox 2.4L FWD, with 55,000 on it and don't owe anything.

Have no current issues with the car and planned on keeping it long term.

However, this leaking oil issue and lawsuit has me scared to death. I've checked my oil a few times and it seems fine...the only thing ever went bad was the external and internal solenoid valves in December which I replaced, not sure if that is a sign of low oil.

What would you do:

1) If possible, buy a 3rd party extended warranty and hope if anything happens to the engine, they cover it.

2) Trade it in now while it's low mileage and still worth a good bit.

3) Keep as is, check the oil each month and hope for the best.

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
It all depends on maintenance from what I've seen. If you keep up with maintenance, these seem to last well unto the 200k mile mark. I've been doing oil changes at 3500-4000 miles, full synthetic DEXOS oil and I've been checking my solenoids for wear/dirt/plastic bits and haven't seen them, which it did have some when i bought it lastyear. I've put 15000 miles in the last 8 months, and after doing repairs when i bought it, I haven't had done much other than regular maintenance.

jbv631

Reaction score
Hi all,

First timer here- would appreciate any advice. I have a 2016 Equinox 2.4L FWD, with 55,000 on it and don't owe anything.

Have no current issues with the car and planned on keeping it long term.

However, this leaking oil issue and lawsuit has me scared to death. I've checked my oil a few times and it seems fine...the only thing ever went bad was the external and internal solenoid valves in December which I replaced, not sure if that is a sign of low oil.

What would you do:

1) If possible, buy a 3rd party extended warranty and hope if anything happens to the engine, they cover it.

2) Trade it in now while it's low mileage and still worth a good bit.

3) Keep as is, check the oil each month and hope for the best.
Keep changing your oil regularly and you should never have an issue with oil consumption. Flush and fill your transmission and cooling system before 100k, and then just drain and fill your transmission each year afterwards. Cooling system every other year. I have a 2013 Equinox with 435,000 miles. Other than that, your exhaust will start rotting off eventually.

Fabiliz_5

Reaction score
Keep changing your oil regularly and you should never have an issue with oil consumption. Flush and fill your transmission and cooling system before 100k, and then just drain and fill your transmission each year afterwards. Cooling system every other year. I have a 2013 Equinox with 435,000 miles. Other than that, your exhaust will start rotting off eventually.
Any advice on how to do the transmission flush?

jbv631

Reaction score
There are videos on YouTube that are very informative. I suggest that you pay to have your flush done by a reputable service center that you trust initially. Then each year afterwards you can perform the drain and fill yourself. It is simple. On YouTube you can find this information. You'll need a funnel, a drain pan, a gallon of transmission fluid, and a couple of wrenches. A jackstand and a floor jack if you feel you need more room to work.

PaulD

Reaction score
You can drain 4 qts at a time from the drain plug. I believe the tranny holds 9.5 qts. I drained and replaced 4 qts. A month later, 4 more qts. I'll probably do it again this summer. It's a 2013 with only 66k. The fluid had never been drained. The first 4 qts out looked and smelled horrible. I plan to replace 4 qts once a year after this.

As 'insurance' replace the oil filler cap with FC219, a vented version, so if the PVC system gets blocked you have less chance of blowing seals.

SYDNESB

Reaction score
First transmission services is at 45k.

GirlDriver

Reaction score
First transmission services is at 45k.
Hello, don't mean to butt in (I am on topic though), but @SYDNESB I saw your post on another forum regarding the 2.4 Ecotec camshaft baffles revealed or something like that. All that fabulous info in the pdf you created is beyond words. Thank you so much. I have a question if you don't mind.... Here's my story/questions. It is regarding the PCV issue with these engines - which I think relates to the oil burning too in some way:

My 2013 Verano (same 2.4 Ecotec, GDI engine) has 105k miles on it. Burns oil some.

But the kicker is... since I got it 3 years ago with 88k miles, the stem/tube on the Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Part #13372201 (covers the throttle body too) that leads to the PCV Breather hose in the crankshaft/valve cover has been snapped off! The gap is small, I noticed it when I got home with the car, thought that was supposed to be like that. Actually I didn't even know what that hose was for.

Didn't find out differently until recently when I saw a video of a 2015 Verano and it had a metal stem/tube on the Air Cleaner Outlet Duct that fit into the PCV breather hose. When I looked again at my car, closer this time, I could barely see the stem in the hardened hose. Ordered a new Air Cleaner Outlet Duct not knowing that it had not been updated and it's plastic soldered connecting the 2 plastic parts!! Not happy. So I haven't had an operating (clogged or not) PCV system for the entire time I've owned the car and who knows how long ago it broke. I love this car, so I hope it's not ruined.

Looking at your incredible pdf resource, "GM 2.4L ECOTEC Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System" - thank you so much for making it!! You mention you can pour cleaner down the center opening of the crankcase (is that what it's called?) camshaft?... on the image I attached, did I circle the correct location for the "center opening"? Can you also spray a cleaner in there? Like CRC's GDI Intake and valve cleaner or throttle body cleaner? Or what kind of cleaner would you pour in there?

For my Verano the intake manifold kit with all the fixin's is only $100 from the dealer (I get a discount) so should I find someone to help me with replacing that, I'm all for it, but in the meantime, I want to get the PCV system somewhat operational again, because I am replacing the timing chain this week or next. I'd planned to do it preventively now anyway, but I think it's started rattling so it's going in asap. I don't want the new timing tensioners, etc. to incur damage right off the bat because the PCV system isn't working well enough. I did put a pressure release oil cap on, for what that's worth. I don't have any known oil leaks.

I did have some oily water, just a tiny bit in my breather hose, maybe that's been working a little. No clue.

My last question is.... would a new valve cover help anything? I can change that out myself, the gasket isn't leaking now, but will wear eventually, so I don't mind. If those baffles get nasty and are nasty, it's easier for me to get a $100 valve cover than take this one apart and try to clean all that stuff. Let me know what you think. I love this little car.

Thank you to all of you!

Cleaner here.jpg Thanks!

Fitter30

Reaction score
At 45k trans fluid was jet black. Drain and fillled 4.-4.5 qts after measuring and changing 6 times in 2.5k miles. Till it turned red and not very brite. Change it every 10k now have 120k on it. Drive the car up on ramps to change it only takes 30 minutes. Just don't tighten that 1/8" pipe plug very tight. Can also check fliud level without lifting the car from the right wheel well with long extension, socket , a warm trans and look at utube.

KristiJI

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It's understandable to feel concerned about the oil leaking issue, but it's great that you haven't noticed any issues with your Equinox so far. Here's my take on your options: Getting a third-party extended warranty could offer some peace of mind, especially considering the potential engine issues. Just make sure to read the fine print and understand what's covered. Trading it in while it's still low mileage and in good condition could be a proactive move if you're worried about future problems. You might get a good value for it now. Keeping it and staying vigilant with monthly oil checks is also a viable option, especially if you're not experiencing any issues. Regular maintenance and monitoring can go a long way in preventing major problems down the line. Ultimately, the decision depends on your comfort level and how much risk you're willing to take. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

StuBlue

Reaction score
8 year old car, if you haven't had any major issues with it by now then I'd say it's likely a keeper.

Members online