2023 Chevrolet Equinox 1.5 liter turbo fuel requirements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rapid

Reaction score
Would E30 or E85 gasoline benefit this engine over regular 87 octane? Since this is a direct injection engine wouldn't E30 or E85 be a carbon cleaning benefit to this engine? Also help keep the fuel system and fuel injectors cleaner. Also wondering if the extra octane would increase the horsepower on this 1.5 liter turbo engine? Thank you for your professional opinions in advance.

ricklack

Reaction score
I have found a marked improvement in my 2022 1.5T after I switched to premium. Had a boost in MPG and power. As you mention, the added cleaning is yet another benefit.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Rapid, Does your e-nox have a flex fuel sticker? As far as I know the 1.5 turbo is not flex fuel capable. E30 or E85 will most likely cause problems if not damage.

Rapid

Reaction score
I have found a marked improvement in my 2022 1.5T after I switched to premium. Had a boost in MPG and power. As you mention, the added cleaning is yet another benefit.
The manual says to use top tier 87 octane gasoline. No more than a E15 gasoline. No E30 or E85. Also says to use a AC Delco fuel system plus cleaner if top tier gasoline isn't available. Says to add the cleaner to the gas tank at every oil change. E15 has a 88 octane which wouldn't be 91 octane like premium in the State of Iowa. I just wondered if a higher octane would wake it up a little being turbocharged.

Rapid

Reaction score
What is the octane of the premium gasoline you run in that 1.5 liter turbo. The premium gasoline in my area is only 91 octane. I see some places have as much as 93 octane. Thank you.

ricklack

Reaction score
What is the octane of the premium gasoline you run in that 1.5 liter turbo. The premium gasoline in my area is only 91 octane. I see some places have as much as 93 octane. Thank you.
Mostly 91, very few are 93 - so same as you find. I get most of my gas at Costco, as it is Top Tier and the jump from regular to premium is a lot less than other gas stations.

Rapid

Reaction score
Just checked with the Costco in West Des Moines Iowa in my area. They have Top Tier 93 octane. The attendant said the alcohol content usually runs around 8%. He also said they add fuel system cleaner to the gasoline storage tank before emptying the tanker into the storage tank. The price of the 93 octane is $3.89⁹.

Rapid

Reaction score
Just checked with the Costco in West Des Moines Iowa in my area. They have Top Tier 93 octane. The attendant said the alcohol content usually runs around 8%. He also said they add fuel system cleaner to the gasoline storage tank before emptying the tanker into the storage tank. The price of the 93 octane is $3.89⁹.

ricklack

Reaction score
I just got back from Pennsylvania, Rutters has top tier and premium is 93 octane. Luckily there is one right near my daughter's new house.

SteveK

Reaction score
I have run highest octane in all vehicles for 30+ years. We have 94 with no corn here.
Lower octane risks ping and retard of timing which loses power. People feel the engine is more powerful, it is not, it just does not lose power.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I’ve been using regular in nine for almost 4 years. If premium wasn’t so expensive, maybe I would give the car a tank

TopHat

Reaction score
Would E30 or E85 gasoline benefit this engine over regular 87 octane? Since this is a direct injection engine wouldn't E30 or E85 be a carbon cleaning benefit to this engine? Also help keep the fuel system and fuel injectors cleaner. Also wondering if the extra octane would increase the horsepower on this 1.5 liter turbo engine? Thank you for your professional opinions in advance.
Be careful, regardless of year, E-85 not acceptable. One person said he benefited from premium, my equinox 1.5 sees no difference and not tuned for premium and has same cleaning substances in regular. Use a top tier gas and: http://car-owners-manual.com/equinox/driving-and-operating/fuel/#:~:text=Recommended Fuel.,in reduced performance and driveability.

Last edited:

wns808

Reaction score
I’ve used 87 in mine and stuck with brands like BP, Shell & Costco .. running just fine

TopHat

Reaction score
Octane needs vary based on elevation if you have a carburetor; such cars could sometimes run on 82 octane. I'm not sure you can find more than 86 octane regular, and usually 85, in Colorado. Midgrade is 87. Interesting that premium is usually only 91 in Colorado, whereas in Virginia regular is 87, 89 is midgrade, and 93 is premium. Unsure why states don't mandate selling at least the lowest required by current cars as most are fuel injected these days.

Staff online

Members online