2020 to 2018/19 towing package retrograde.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triple

Reaction score
It appears there is no factory towing package available for the 2020 Equinox. Is it possible to fit the factory towing components from a 2018/19 model onto a new 2020? Are there any significant changes to the rear bumper/fascia that would make this impossible?

There are several aftermarket hitches that will fit a 2020, but they all place the receiver under the bumper, severely limiting ground clearance. The factory 2018/19 hitch pokes through a port in the bumper itself, placing the receiver six or more inches higher from the ground.

So far I haven't found any reference to this conversion whatsoever.

kabarros

Reaction score
Towing package

My 2018 diesel didn't the option for the towing package also. I just bought the factory hitch and trim bezel from shopchevyparts.com . Installed it myself in a day but I also had a copy of the manufacturers shop manual. Plus with the DEF tank it made more complicated.

natedawg061987

Reaction score
Towing package

My 2018 diesel didn't the option for the towing package also. I just bought the factory hitch and trim bezel from shopchevyparts.com . Installed it myself in a day but I also had a copy of the manufacturers shop manual. Plus with the DEF tank it made more complicated.
I recently picked up an '18 Premier with the 1.5L turbo, and I'd like to add a hitch to it. When you did the install, was there wiring already available behind the fascia of the bumper or did you have to run anything additional to install the 4-pin connector harness?

kabarros

Reaction score
The answer to your question about the wiring is yes. The hitch came with the 4 pin plug wiring and there was a factory plug behind the facia.
Hope this helps.

kimmi20078

Reaction score
I recently picked up an '18 Premier with the 1.5L turbo, and I'd like to add a hitch to it. When you did the install, was there wiring already available behind the fascia of the bumper or did you have to run anything additional to install the 4-pin connector harness?
I am having the hitch trim bezel installed today through my dealer. I hope it looks nice when they are done. I bought it thinking it was going to be an easy install. Then when I got it, it says you have to get the manual from a dealer. Fingers crossed they don't screw up.

stumusic

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2018 with the 1.6L diesel. We plan to tow a small teardrop trailer, at or under 1500lbs per the listed towing specs. I'm having the dealer install the factory hitch, and I will be adding a break controller and 7 pin connection.

I know the 2.0 turbo also has the "V92" towing package option. What I am wondering is, what else is included in that towing package? For example, does that V92 package have a heavier duty transmission cooler or upgraded radiator? Though I know it doesn't increase the rated towing capacity, we will be doing some longer road trips and I want to hedge my bets against problems by doing what I can proactively, especially to the cooling system. (It's interesting to me that relatives I have in the U.K. regularly pull much larger trailers with what we would consider much too small a tow vehicle here. My cousin pulls a 2000Kg trailer with a Ford Escape for goodness sakes. This makes me feel like tow ratings here in the states are quite conservative...)

Thanks for any info or experiences you can share.

stumusic

Reaction score
Towing package

I just bought one of these myself and I'm having the dealership install the hitch. Did you make any other upgrades? How has it performed for you towing?

Thanks!

bnuhfer

Reaction score
It appears there is no factory towing package available for the 2020 Equinox. Is it possible to fit the factory towing components from a 2018/19 model onto a new 2020? Are there any significant changes to the rear bumper/fascia that would make this impossible?

There are several aftermarket hitches that will fit a 2020, but they all place the receiver under the bumper, severely limiting ground clearance. The factory 2018/19 hitch pokes through a port in the bumper itself, placing the receiver six or more inches higher from the ground.

So far I haven't found any reference to this conversion whatsoever.
I purchased a 2020 Premier with the towing package from the factory. There is a cover that covers the hitch as well as the round connector plug. I have the 2020 Premier with the 2.0L

stumusic

Reaction score
I have a similar question, and a request. I purchased a 2018 with the 1.6L diesel. I have ordered the hitch and bezel cover, but would also like to upgrade as many components as possible to those included in the V92 towing package that is available on 2018's with the 2.0L gas engine. Frustratingly, neither the parts department nor my service advisor can actually tell me what those components are. The service advisor suggested that I try and get the VIN from a 2018 2.0L WITH the V92 towing package to allow us to compare part numbers for things like the transmission cooler, alternator, brake master cylinder, etc., and see which of those components would fit the 2018 1.6L diesel. I'm not trying to increase my towing capacity in any "official" way as much as hedging my bets against failures, since we will likely tow quite close to the 1500lb. limit. It's interesting to me that the 2.0L tube gas engine with the 9 speed transmission and the 1.6L diesel with the 6 speed transmission have identical towing capacities WITHOUT the V92 towing package, so I believe the difference is not a simple matter of the horsepower rating of the 2.0L engine.

So.. is there someone on the forum with a 2018 2.0L Equinox with the V92 towing package who is willing to share their VIN?

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.