2020 LT Useless in Cold Weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walking Black Bear

Reaction score
They honestly shouldn't even sell the bloody thing in Canada!

I feel a little ranty. Bought a 2020 LT AWD in late August 2020 for my wife to commute to work in (100km/60 miles each way, most of which has ZERO cellular reception). January 2021 it starts blowing CEL for the CAC and turbo overboost any time you hit the gas when it's -25C or lower (essentially December to March around here). Into the shop every weekend for a month. Nothing changes. February 2020, less than 30,000km, blows out the front and rear crank seals. Out of commission a full month waiting for a rebuild. Fast forward to this month. Few weeks ago, pops CEL in the cold. Here we go again! Call dealership, have to wait for an appointment, they have no loaners, 13 Equinox queued up in front of us for the same issue. But this time it's throwing codes for underboost and barometric pressure sensors. Appointment #2 is Wednesday.

This is beyond ridiculous. If I hadn't bought a 2022 Santa Cruz last summer, we'd be unable to get to and from work with our $40k paperweight. It still doesn't have 60,000km on it, since we've been driving the Hyundai almost exclusively since I got it. We ran the 'nox the first week of this month because my wife needed it for work for a few days ... it didn't make ONE before popping the check engine light and going into low power mode.

Seriously looking at taking the financial hit, getting rid of the damn thing, and never touching another GM product again. Anybody else have an expensive cold weather paperweight? Or am I just that kinda lucky?

dgstarr

Reaction score

I feel a little ranty. Bought a 2020 LT AWD in late August 2020 for my wife to commute to work in (100km/60 miles each way, most of which has ZERO cellular reception). January 2021 it starts blowing CEL for the CAC and turbo overboost any time you hit the gas when it's -25C or lower (essentially December to March around here). Into the shop every weekend for a month. Nothing changes. February 2020, less than 30,000km, blows out the front and rear crank seals. Out of commission a full month waiting for a rebuild. Fast forward to this month. Few weeks ago, pops CEL in the cold. Here we go again! Call dealership, have to wait for an appointment, they have no loaners, 13 Equinox queued up in front of us for the same issue. But this time it's throwing codes for underboost and barometric pressure sensors. Appointment #2 is Wednesday.

This is beyond ridiculous. If I hadn't bought a 2022 Santa Cruz last summer, we'd be unable to get to and from work with our $40k paperweight. It still doesn't have 60,000km on it, since we've been driving the Hyundai almost exclusively since I got it. We ran the 'nox the first week of this month because my wife needed it for work for a few days ... it didn't make ONE before popping the check engine light and going into low power mode.

Seriously looking at taking the financial hit, getting rid of the damn thing, and never touching another GM product again. Anybody else have an expensive cold weather paperweight? Or am I just that kinda lucky?
Which engine do you have?

Nenane

Reaction score

I feel you on this I bought the Chevy equinox because I thought it was American made, been having so many problems with this SUV. I looked at the manufacturer Sticker on the door and the damn thing is made in Canada. FML anybody want it, it’s free. 21 problems and running right isn’t one of them.

ricklack

Reaction score
So far my 1.5T has had no issues and we just had a few -33C nights. Will be vigilant and report if anything pops up.

This is the first I've heard of the issue, I know that doesn't help your situation.

Walking Black Bear

Reaction score
Glad you're not having issues. To be fair, it's mainly been an issue on the highway. Usually good for the first 20-40km, then pops after we slow down to change highways and the coolant temp dips. First hill, give it some gas to climb, bam. CEL lights up.

Chills

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a 2021 Equinox 1.5 later turbo.
Recently, on a highway trip of 750 kms at -35C the Check Engine Light came on with "Reduced Power" warning.
Took it into the dealer who confirmed freeze up- thawed everything out and installed a small winter front.
Thinking all was OK I took the same trip a week later at -30C and this time only made 200 kms before same CEL and reduced power.
This makes the vehicle useless in my location

Has anyone tried just blocking off the whole grille? Any other suggestions?

Walking Black Bear

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a 2021 Equinox 1.5 later turbo.
Recently, on a highway trip of 750 kms at -35C the Check Engine Light came on with "Reduced Power" warning.
Took it into the dealer who confirmed freeze up- thawed everything out and installed a small winter front.
Thinking all was OK I took the same trip a week later at -30C and this time only made 200 kms before same CEL and reduced power.
This makes the vehicle useless in my location

Has anyone tried just blocking off the whole grille? Any other suggestions?
Congratulations! Welcome to the club. We got ours back on Tuesday, after they replaced stuck open mechanical shutters (the ones they installed last year) and added a fabric cold front. It completely covers the lower half of the grille and about half of the middle section. We haven't had any super cold mornings since we got it back, but are expecting a couple below -30 later this week. So we'll take it one of those days and if it pops the CEL again, it'll go and sit back on their lot again ... and I'll probably have to have some unpleasant discussions with the staff about its future. We drive 100km each way to/from work every day, so reliability in EVERY weather condition is vital. Especially when about 50% of that drive has zero cell phone coverage for emergencies.

SO glad I bought the Hyundai Santa Cruz last year. That little trucklet has been a rock star, even at -40.

Attachments

• 20220127_183927.jpg
    20220127_183927.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Have ya considered any FORD products? I'm kinda a die-hard GM American brute BUT IF I had dat mucho probs wit GM stuff, BAM....I be switching TOTAL Platforms! Call me a traitor if ya want but I simply WILL NOT tolerate an under performing Ride.

Walking Black Bear

Reaction score
Considered? Sure. But I don't hold Ford's reliability in much higher regard than GMs. I spent over a decade with Chrysler/Dodge products too. Overall, those weren't bad, but every one seemed to suffer some kind of recurring issue. The Sebring (an '03, which I really did enjoy driving) suffered from suspension and axle failures. (Rear strut towers snapped, replaced the front axle once in 5 years, got rid of it on round two of the same issue. Wasn't waiting for strike 3.) The Journey was overall very reliable - including that at least once every other winter a power steering hose would explode in the cold and the rear toe links would need replacing about every 3 years. Very reliable on both counts. LOL

So far, I'm incredibly happy with my 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz. I have had zero issues, outside of the first service when they forgot to put the oil filler cap back on the engine. LOL Can't say yet how it will be long-term, but mileage-wise, I'm already at about 1/3 what we have on the Equinox, and it had issues almost right out of the gate. (Besides the icing up in winter.) They had to replace a transformer in the auto start/stop system that was defective.

As it stands, I'm strongly leaning towards another Hyundai to replace the 'nox in a couple of years. Either a PHEV or BEV like the Tuscon PHEV or Ioniq 5. Sucks that the nearest dealership is an hour and a half drive from home, but if I don't need to visit them often or wait 2-3 weeks for service, it's not so bad.

Waldo

Reaction score
more reasons why i would never buy a GM. small engine with turbo.. they have no clue

Chills

Reaction score
Many machines(ie; snowmobiles, heavy equipment) have turbochargers installed complete with intercoolers. Most do not have a problem operating in the Canadian winter. Frozen intercoolers on snowmobiles would clearly be unacceptable.

Aftermarket intercooler heat exchangers are available for many of these machines. While they are primarily designed to regulate higher temperatures, a simple water/air system could regulate temperatures and prevent freeze-up.

Mr. GMC needs to apply a solution

Starfire

Reaction score
I feel you on this I bought the Chevy equinox because I thought it was American made, been having so many problems with this SUV. I looked at the manufacturer Sticker on the door and the damn thing is made in Canada. FML anybody want it, it’s free. 21 problems and running right isn’t one of them.
Since it's inception (2005 MY) the Equinox has been produced at the CAMI plant in Ingersoll, Canada. When they brought out the second gens, they were so popular dealers could not keep them in stock and GM produced additional units in Spring Hill, TN. The third gens are produced at Ingersol, and in Mexico, and in China. I've had 4 Ingersoll built and they all have been fantastic vehicles.

Jpc1623

Reaction score
The intercooler is getting a small amount of condensation and ice is forming inside. There is a TSB according to the dealer. It was fix on my 2020 1.5 after the first time it happened

Members online

No members online now.