2019 Equinox USB-C port data capable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electricdiver

Reaction score
I just bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2019 Equinox. The front center console in front of the shift lever has 3 ports (from left to right): USB-C, USB-A, AUX. I've tried 2 different android phones and an iphone 11 with different cables and get the exact same results. The type C port charges but will not connect to the device for Android Auto/AppleCarPlay but the devices indicate they are charging from the C port. Plug all 3 devices into the A port and they connect just fine. I've tried type C-to-C cables, type C-to-lightning cables and cables with different adapters that let one end have both type C & A connectors and the other end has type C, lightning & mini connectors on the other end. They get the same results. Type C port charges but no data, type A port charges + data. Using the cable with the adapters let us the same cable with all 3 devices so I am very confident the cable is good since it works fine in the A port.

Should the type C port connect to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay?

On past vehicles that didn't have AA we would use a few different USB drives with music, audiobooks, etc. Sometimes a thumb drive would be setup for a specific road trip. I was thinking we would do the same with the Equinox - thumb drive in the A port and connect a phone to the C port for mapping, etc. Is it even possible to have two different 'data' devices connected to both ports at the same time?

There are two USB A ports in the rear seat area which I know are charge only. I don't have the optional port in the storage bin.☹️

ryan780

Reaction score
Yes, the USB C port is what I use to connect to Android Auto on my 2019.

electricdiver

Reaction score
Update - took it in and the dealer did some kind of update to the vehicle which did not fix the problem. The entire USB port panel was then replaced which then let the type C port connect all phones to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.

spaycace

Reaction score
sounds like I might have to do that with my recently acquired 2019 Equinox... having issues with carplay and the usb-c

2019EquinoxAWD

Reaction score
I bought an adapter that I plug into my USB port that allows android auto to work wirelessly. It's made from Motorola and I bought it at best buy in the mobile section of their store.

SteveK

Reaction score
There are two USB A ports in the rear seat area which I know are charge only. I don't have the optional port in the storage bin.☹️

I use the glove box USB A for android auto

Members online

No members online now.