2019 Chevy Equinox Key Lock Cylinder Cap Stuck (Major Issue/Manufacturer Defect)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mitch

Reaction score
Yesterday my Key FOB Battery died and my car was locked. I had to insert the manual key under the key lock cylinder cap to remove the cap and I incorrectly put it back on not following the procedure inside the owners manual (I know, my fault.) - Now I cannot remove the cap and the dealer has to get involved. I don't know how Chevy has let this happen as I would imagine many people have improperly put the cap back on and it's no longer flush with the car. I can no longer remove the key lock cylinder cap and inset the manual key again. Please help.

Should I schedule an appointment with my nearby dealer?

scan2

Reaction score
I had this happen with my acadia 2020 but i was able to get it off again. it was i while ago. Sorry i cant remember exactly what i did but i did get it back off. try sticking the key back in and fanagaling it. if now the dealer can probably get it off in the street if you know them well.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score
If you get a low battery warning don't waste any time. Change the battery immediately. I was able to open the door with my phone but the car wouldn't start. It eventually did and the battery was changed the next day. We got one warning the day before and that was it. Also don't expect the battery to last 10 years or longer like an older key fob. I think it is always operating while inside the car but that's just a guess.

TopHat

Reaction score
If you get a low battery warning don't waste any time. Change the battery immediately. I was able to open the door with my phone but the car wouldn't start. It eventually did and the battery was changed the next day. We got one warning the day before and that was it. Also don't expect the battery to last 10 years or longer like an older key fob. I think it is always operating while inside the car but that's just a guess.
On 2019, the directions say to put the key fob in the cup holder to start the car, then get it changed. Same on my 2022 Escalade.

Members online

No members online now.