2018 Equinox Premier - Transfer Case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crites57

Reaction score
I was looking at the service schedule for my 2018 Equinox Premier and didn't see anything about a transfer case. When my vehicle was in for service the dealer suggested changing the fluid in the transfer case for the tune of $157. I thought with the 9-speed transmission on the Equinox Premier the transfer case was part of the transmission.

Can anyone tell me if my vehicle has a transfer chase that needs it's fluid changed?

Thanks.

spaycace

Reaction score
If your vehicle is All Wheel Drive (AWD) then it has a transfer case, and you would want to look in your owner's manual to determine the frequency at which it is suggested you drain/refill it. If you're mechanically inclined, or have a friend with tools and a "shop" who is, the process isn't too difficult on most vehicles and can probably be done for less than the price you were quoted. I plan on changing the fluid in both my transmission and transfer case at 30,000 mile intervals as prescribed in the owner's manual. It may seem like overkill, but I'd rather spend a little money on PM, than to have a breakdown due to lack of PM at regular intervals. You might also want to check your brake fluid, as I've noticed that mine appears to be somewhat darker than it should be after only 24,000 miles of driving. I purchased my 2019 Nox used ... it was a low-mileage lease return, and I would have thought all the fluids would have been changed prior to the dealer selling me the vehicle, but they definitely were not! Then again, they didn't even send me off with a full tank of fuel! A little time and money for fluids is a lot less expensive than a transmission, transfer case, or brake booster repair or replacement. Transfer case takes .85 quarts of fluid ... yes, less than 1 quart of fluid.
Best of luck to you with your decision on which route to take.

John H.

Reaction score
I was looking at the service schedule for my 2018 Equinox Premier and didn't see anything about a transfer case. When my vehicle was in for service the dealer suggested changing the fluid in the transfer case for the tune of $157. I thought with the 9-speed transmission on the Equinox Premier the transfer case was part of the transmission.

Can anyone tell me if my vehicle has a transfer chase that needs it's fluid changed?

Thanks.
If it's an AWD, The transfer case fluid needs to be changed. My son neglected his (After I told him about it) and it failed after about 80,000 miles. It's a very expensive part to replace.

Jpc1623

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Equinox 1.5T AWD. I did the transfer case fluid yesterday. 33600 miles used Valvoline Transfer Case fluid which is approved. The only problem I had was the heat shield what a PITB. Fluid cost $13. time about 20 mins. I put the car on ramps and jacked the back up to level it. 15 mins trying to figure out heat shield m, 5 mins pump fluid in.

Members online