2018 Equinox LS EPB service mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18-Equinox-LS

Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone know how to set the electronic parking brake (EPB) into service mode without using an OBD2 scanner? Or is there really no choice but to use a scanner? thanks in advance.

Ron Hertzog

Reaction score
I don't believe there is a way to put it into service mode without a scanner. I looked online for days searching for a way to do other than manually taking the (EPB) apart. They show on utube how to do that, but I didn't want to attempt it as part of the casing is plastic, I ended up buying an Innova 5160rs from Amazon for $285. I purchased a cheaper Autel ($189) scanner because it showed on the box the (EPB) emblem. But when I tried to use it, it wasn't combatable with the Chevy Equinox. Just put new brake pads on Sunday and it was easy as the scanner retracted the (EPB), didn't even have to push the cylinder in as it gave me enough room to get the old pads off. The only other thing I bought was a Lisle 25200 - ADJUSTABLE BRAKE CALIPER TOOL, 2 & 3 PIN. Don't know if you know but the cylinder has to rotated back in and it has tri-angle slots.

t1376gb

Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone know how to set the electronic parking brake (EPB) into service mode without using an OBD2 scanner? Or is there really no choice but to use a scanner? thanks in advance.
I was able to get the service light to come on . A 2020 Equinox, but I couldnt get it to stay on. I think there is a procedure we can use without a scan tool.. Still looking for it. :)

Members online