2016 Equinox - hard wire a radar detector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royalwapiti

Reaction score
I am picking up my Equinox tonight. It's a work vehicle. On these company cars we can't modify too much but I can hardwire in a radar and string the wire up through the windshield post and have it pop out by the mirror. Then i mount the detector somewhere around the mirror on the windshield.

In the past I would hardwire my GPS as well on the same relay and have it sit by windshield post. If I do that now I lose my Traffic feature. It uses the cord as the FM receiver for traffic signals that state transmits.

Does any one know a good wire underneath I can tap into for my relay. I want the radar on when accessory or car is running. I'll bring power in from a fused circuit. Any fuses spots open I can use for that?

Thanks

Patriot Blue

dentonnox

Reaction score
I haven't hard wired my radar yet, but I will in the next few weeks. When I did my amp install I decided I would tap into the socket below the radio. Pretty sure it's a brown orange colored wire but not sure. I wanted to use it since it cuts off with the ignition

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I am picking up my Equinox tonight. It's a work vehicle. On these company cars we can't modify too much but I can hardwire in a radar and string the wire up through the windshield post and have it pop out by the mirror. Then i mount the detector somewhere around the mirror on the windshield.

In the past I would hardwire my GPS as well on the same relay and have it sit by windshield post. If I do that now I lose my Traffic feature. It uses the cord as the FM receiver for traffic signals that state transmits.

Does any one know a good wire underneath I can tap into for my relay. I want the radar on when accessory or car is running. I'll bring power in from a fused circuit. Any fuses spots open I can use for that?

Thanks

Patriot Blue

I don't think there is anyone on here that has hardwired much on the new 2016 models. They aren't completely different than the 2010-15 body style but there's not telling until you start working on one.

Frankly, the most I have done with my 2010 is some LED's and HID's. Other than that I haven't done anything else with it.

ZIGGZ 2012 Equinox

Reaction score
Its a simple wire

So nobody has done any electrical work on their Nox?

Cut off the lighter side of the radar and expose the two wires on the radar strip and back the wires one will be black - the other red + now you need to find a system that is on when you driving and off when your out of the car (off) the easy way is to plug the lighter in before you exposed the wire and if it turns off when you exit the vehicle use the wires behind the 12V lighter wires. Just splice the red to red and black to black. Personally I would use a soldering gun and shrink wrap with a heat gun. just find a way to tie the wires together so they are safely secured electrically together and make 100% there is no exposed wires any where. Secure,secure. The easiest way is a blue crimp where you put the crimp over the 12V wire on the 12v that runs straight through and put your red wire to that goes just half way through and crimp it down tight and do the same with the black. I hope this helps Im here to help if you need help. Take care and I wish you luck.

Members online

No members online now.