2016 equinox engine rebuild or swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Harris

Reaction score
Looking to do a rebuild on the wife's 2016 equinox 2.4L Federal Emissions. I'm not an engine guy by no means and looking for help. I need to know if its worth rebuilding or try to find a junkyard motor ( thats almost impossible due to not knowing what your getting from what I'm reading online cause of them telling you the wrong milage) or just do a rebuild. The engine jumped time and broke all the rocker arms on the intake side so it will need the head rebuild as well.

How do I tell what motor will work if I do a engine swap?

What all will I need for a rebuild?

What would be the average cost for a rebuild for both head work and piston, bearing, rings and other items needed as long as the cylinder walls are fine?

Sorry for being a moron but I'm not a motor guy and I don't want to get screwed or screw myself.

Thanks all!!!
Edit Quote

Gmcdean

Reaction score
Wish I could help more. I would change out timing chain if you can reach it. Where there any symptoms before the fail? Also if you are in Canada Google Equinox lawsuit. Save all and any receipts.

Vaughnster

Reaction score
Did you fix it Richard? I’m in the process of engine removal. SAME situation. Either rebuild or replace. But I don’t like the idea of a $4k used engine. I hope my block is good. 150k miles

comp

Reaction score
Did you fix it Richard? I’m in the process of engine removal. SAME situation. Either rebuild or replace. But I don’t like the idea of a $4k used engine. I hope my block is good. 150k miles
what let go on your engine ? i have a 17,,2.4 and the intake cam appares to be stuck advanced ? did search here no matches? its still running but poorly,,,any other good sites to look for 2.4 info?? thanks

Vaughnster

Reaction score
not sure exactly as of yet. Timing chain/guides? Looking at the chain from the top side it seems taught. Intake valve are lifters broke. Ran low on oil. after removing plan to better diagnose.

Members online

No members online now.