2016 Chevy Equinox theft detection work around

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexSolo

Reaction score
Hi all, I left my keys in my pocket before jumping in the pool yesterday like an idiot, and yes of course my fob wasn't working, and when I unlocked the door manually, the alarm and theft detection alarm went off and wouldn't start. Finally after a few hours of trying to get the water out, etc, I was able to get one of the buttons to engage enough that I guess it fooled the car and I was able to start it. But when I got home, the alarm would go off about every 15 minutes until I finally took the battery out. Was wondering if there is a button or some sort of work around that I can do. When I put the battery back in the fob, the car honks but nothing else, so there is still some issue inside, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace it. Which leads to my second question, can I do that myself? I've seen videos on how to program your own fob, but none seem to be for a 2016, and if the original fob is on the fritz, will I be able to use it to help program the new key?

Thanks for any help.

T

No Tyme

Reaction score
First I would ask if you have a second key fob that you can use. My thought is that the fob is history since it was water logged. There is a specific drying out process for cell phones that get water logged and I would think you may need to go about that same process. I would open up the fob in question and remove the battery and let it dry out before trying to operate it again with the battery.

Members online

No members online now.