2015 Equinox P057D P0651 & P15A0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bpopilek

Reaction score
Greetings all!
My daughter is the proud owner of a 2015 Equinox with a 2.4l engine. She has owned this car for about the past 3+ years, and with the exception of some louder exhaust noise, there have been no issues. The other day she told me that her check engine light had come on and that the RPM gauge wasn't working. When she came over, I scanned the codes and got the following: P057D P0651 & P15A0. It does seem that there is an error on the 5v system, but I'm not sure if I am on the right track. I have read that it could be anything from a faulty Fuel Economy Mode Switch, Brake pedal position sensor, Crankshaft position sensor, timing chain, etc... I cleared the codes and everything was working properly again, including the RPM gauge. I also recall seeing a message on her dash about servicing stabilitrak, before I cleared the codes, but it too was gone afterwards. I then shut the car off and wanted to do a test restart. When I went to restart it, it cranked over for a good long while before quitting. On my second attempt, it started right up. It seemed to run fine and had enough power. My daughter drove it home without incident, but the next day on her way into work the RPM gauge failed again and the check engine light has come back on. She also told me it did the weird difficult start thing again.
I'm hoping that this is just a faulty crankshaft position sensor. However, what I wanted to see is if anyone could tell me how to check for a timing chain failure issue? Also, is there a procedure that I would need to run after installing a new crankshaft position sensor? Like any sort of calibration, does it need to be programmed at a dealer, etc... I greatly appreciate any and all advice and ideas. Thank you!

Bpopilek

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea? I can start buying parts to throw at it, but would prefer to know I am on the right track before I start throwing money away. Thank you!

Bpopilek

Reaction score
I appreciate the response! I should have come back to reply to this, since I was able to get it fixed this past week.

I looked at the document provided in the link, and it was for GM trucks. However, I did have this exact same issue with my 2019 Equinox. An issue that the local dealership tried to pass off as rodent damage! Since the engine would be in reduced power mode at times, I did end up deciding to swap out the crankshaft position sensor first. That fix, of course, did nothing to help. Next, mainly because it was free and easy to do, I removed the ECO button to clean it. It was pretty gummed up and didn't move well. I ran it through my ultrasonic cleaner and put it back in the car. Wouldn't you know, no more check engine light! Additionally, the RPM gauge works again and the reduced power issue is also resolved. So, in the end, it was just a bad/gummed up switch. I hope that this experience helps someone else in the future.

corvairbob

Reaction score
great you found that. the link i sent was a generac type of troubleshooting for those issues.

kpmueller2006

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea? I can start buying parts to throw at it, but would prefer to know I am on the right track before I start throwing money away. Thank you!
Check the starter cables if losse tighten and your gauge should work fine.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.