2015 chevy equinox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickybobby1189

Reaction score
My fiance bought a used 2015 chevy equinox about a year ago or so. Since then it had an engine replacement done due to a bad head gasket. Ever since the engine replacement, the ac compressor won't work at all and randomly the dash will either light up like a Christmas tree or the lights on the dash wont turn on at all, sometimes the speedometer wuits working, sometimes the vehicle will go into reduced power/limp mode, and sometimes the engine won't turn over at all. Any clues as to what could be causing the problems would be helpful. TIA.

rvnmedic6869

Reaction score
I would trace back to the engine replacement as from what you are describing all the issues appeared after that. Was the replacement done at a Chevy dealer? We have a 2015 also and it runs great. Sorry I can't offer more info, I'm not a mechanic. Good luck!

rickybobby1189

Reaction score
I would trace back to the engine replacement as from what you are describing all the issues appeared after that. Was the replacement done at a Chevy dealer? We have a 2015 also and it runs great. Sorry I can't offer more info, I'm not a mechanic. Good luck!
It was bought at a Toyota dealer, and the work was done by a Ford dealer that the Toyota dealer sent It to. .we had to fight like heck to get the "new" engine. And its had more problems ever since.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Such a variety of symptoms make me think first of a faulty ground, but of course it's a wild guess.

It's always going to be a wild guess over the NET. I does sound like what it could be though.

Gmcdean

Reaction score
TAKE IT BACK !!!
Also did you check for special coverage with GM?

rickybobby1189

Reaction score
It was bought from a Toyota dealer. No gm coverage. But with a extended warranty through a 3rd party. We had to fight like he'll to get the "new" engine. The warranty company didn't want to cover anything if it wasn't manufacturer caused. They claimed the engine damage was from lack of maintenance when we had only had the vehicle for around 6k miles and did 2 oil changes on it since we got it.

blackmax100

Reaction score
My fiance bought a used 2015 chevy equinox about a year ago or so. Since then it had an engine replacement done due to a bad head gasket. Ever since the engine replacement, the ac compressor won't work at all and randomly the dash will either light up like a Christmas tree or the lights on the dash wont turn on at all, sometimes the speedometer wuits working, sometimes the vehicle will go into reduced power/limp mode, and sometimes the engine won't turn over at all. Any clues as to what could be causing the problems would be helpful. TIA.

Ill assume it worked correctly for a short period of time after you got it back from the mechanic.
If not this really should be on them to figure out.
The why doesn't matter unless the insurance company owns the repair shop.

Have you scanned the engine to see what codes are coming up? That may point you to the correct area.
Second check the battery voltage, a faulty battery can create havoc.
Third would be the ground as already mentioned.

The engine comes out the bottom, so they discharged the AC system, that could be that simple.

My recommendation, get a manual, and walk thru every connection there is on the engine and harnesses, don't skip the vacuum hoses.
But based on what you are describing this is most likely an electrical connection or 2 that is lose, or something failed during the transfer.
They may have even snapped a connector and it will just not stay in place.

Good luck

Reaction score
Take the ride to a TRUSTED Dianostic shop, with the equipment at their disposal the Techie's will find which circuits and components require attention. Anything else is just guess work, an I've sure been their an done dat!

Members online