2014 Equinox LT 2.4L Need some assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nash

Reaction score
Hello all!
I need some sound advice on some issues I'm having with my Equinox. So let me start by giving some back ground. About 3 weeks ago, on an extremely cold morning here, my Equinox started acting up with a few dash board lights. After having it towed home, and doing a ton of research on line, I determined it blew the rear main seal. So I started pulling the engine out to replace, but since I was going to have it out I thought it a good idea to replace the other 2 common issues with this GM 2.4L, the piston rings and timing chains. I bought all the pieces and parts. Everything went smoothly. Glad I did this b/c I found the oil control ring on piston 2 was broken and the top of that piston was blacker then black. After cleaning and replacing I got the engine back together and back into the vehicle. Started right up but was chugging. Scanned for codes and got P0335, C0710, & U0401. I figured the crankshaft sensor and or the connector was bad, mostly b/c of the dumb locking tap on the connector which I broke. I replaced both, cleared the codes but after driving all 4 codes pop up again, I even tried disconnecting the battery for 3 hours. I've gone back to verify that I have all the sensors connected and it appears I do. The Stabilitrac light comes on every time I start the car. I have a complete wiring diagram so I can inspect all wires going to the engine that I disconnected. I'm in a rabbit hole right now so if someone can give me a little direction I'd much appreciate it.

Nash

Reaction score
Update: I've noticed that if I clear the P0335 code after starting car up it doesn't come back up until I start it again. The C0710 & U0401 code remain though.

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
Any chance the reluctor/phaser ring on crankshaft is incorrect or has a damaged tooth?

Does the engine start right up or crank a few seconds before running?

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
Also, did you perform the crankshaft position relearn when did the reinstall?

TopHat

Reaction score
Not a mechanic, but how are you clearing the codes? Is it otherwise running fine? I guess your Stabilitrac light/message has disappeared. Perhaps they all have a common cause. I'm not knowledgeable enough to help you diagnose but didn't see any responses.

Nash

Reaction score
Any chance the reluctor/phaser ring on crankshaft is incorrect or has a damaged tooth?

Does the engine start right up or crank a few seconds before running?
The engine takes a few seconds to start. I have an appt next week with the dealer to do the relearn on the sensor.

Nash

Reaction score
Not a mechanic, but how are you clearing the codes? Is it otherwise running fine? I guess your Stabilitrac light/message has disappeared. Perhaps they all have a common cause. I'm not knowledgeable enough to help you diagnose but didn't see any responses.

When I clear the codes the Stabilitrak light does come back. I found that I have to do a steering position sensor calibration as well. Evidently when you pull the tie rod off and disconnect the battery it forgets where the steering is and that will cause the Stabilitrak error.

Nash

Reaction score
Also, did you perform the crankshaft position relearn when did the reinstall?

I have an appt next week with the dealer to get this done. I tried to do it myself using steps online but obviously it wasn't working for me. I also have to get the steering calibrated as well, b/c apparently when you disconnect the tie rods and disconnect the battery if forgets where it is.

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
The relearn procedure will tell all. If it is successful, I think your issue will resolve. If Unable to, then bigger problems line for you I fear.

Nash

Reaction score
Here's an update:
I did not end up taking it to a dealer. Instead I pulled the crank sensor out and put the old one back in per someone else suggestion not using an aftermarket one. I realized when I pulled it out that perhaps I did not have it all the way in. Apparently you need a little bit of force to make sure it is fully seated. Once I applied a bit of pressure and felt along the edge to ensure there wasn't a gap between the sensor and engine I put everything back together and cleared the codes again. Lo and behold no more error! I still had the Stabilitrek error though. A buddy had a scanner to re-calibrate the steering wheel sensor, worked for about 3 hours then came back on. It needed a front end alignment due to taking the drive shaft out when pulling the motor so I figured I get that done first before trying again. I purchased my own scan tool that would re-calibrate the steering sensor. Long story short after the wheel alignment and the re-calibration it is finally error code free! Thanks for the suggestions!

Members online

No members online now.