2014 Equinox LS - Shifter knob removal question. Thanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dantheman

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2014 Equinox LS. The manual gear shifter button does not respond. When the the gear is in M, display in the dash shows M1. When I press +/- button on the shifter knob, the gear does not change and stays at M1. I have no other issues with the transmission. After searching through the internet, I have been told that issue could either be with shifter knob itself or the shifter knob electrical connector may have come lose.

Does anyone know how to remove the shifter knob so I can troubleshoot further? I have tried pulling the shifter knob straight up with no success. I couldn't find any videos either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_8594.JPG
    IMG_8594.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 23

dantheman

Reaction score
Thanks mhorton for your response. I didn't want to pull hard on the shifter because I know I'm going to break something. Were you able to remove the shifter on your vehicle? Thanks

mhorton2004

Reaction score
No Problem and no i was not able to. i pulled like hell and gave up. i bet there is a trick that makes it easier. I justt can not rap my head around why it is so hard to remove.

mhorton2004

Reaction score
Update: I have not tried this yet, as i have just found this out, but if you take of the bezel of the shifter itself, you will see a white plastic piece. behind that there is a locking pin that if you remove it the shifter should slide right off. i have not had the time to attempt this.

dantheman

Reaction score
I did manage to take the plastic off the shifter. However, I did not see a white plastic or the locking pin. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8924.JPG
    IMG_8924.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 30

ricklack

Reaction score
I wonder with the bezel removed - could spraying some electronic cleaner in the switch bring it back to life? I used MAF sensor cleaner to get my power seat working again - it would go front but not recline back. Now it does and has kept working about a year.

napajack

Reaction score
Mine just pulled straight up, but it disconnects the push button wires under the plate.

dantheman

Reaction score
I am trying to get to the manual shift gear wire connector, because the manual shift does not work any more. I tried to pulling shifter knob straight up and didn't even budge. I have read on another forum that there is a clip somewhere in the assembly which needs to come out first before pulling the knob out.

Smirl

Reaction score
Same dilemma on 2013. I’ve tried pulling and prying to no avail other than scarring up the shifter. Do I need a hydraulic cherry picker & a chain??

Any new thoughts would be appreciated.

Members online