2014 equinox jerking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clark111t

Reaction score
2014 equinox 2.4. jerks and miss at stop light. Runs fine an doesn't happen all the time. New timing chain vvt actuators ,plugs. Ac Delco high pressure pump. New piston rings. Any ideas? Haven't gotten a code . U can rev those motor an it will smooth out. If I didn't post right sorry . First time an doing it off a phone.

Clark111t

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Did you get it figured out?
I have a 2013 chevrolet equinox 2.4l ecotec vvt. I just rebuilt the engine with new rings, pistons, bearings, cams, rockers, lifters, valves and timing. I have also replaced almost all of the sensors, as well as the cat. New fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump, fuel pump in the tank. New coils and spark plugs.
It runs smooth on the road or at idle while in nutral, but at idle in gear it surges and bucks. There are no codes. It is so frustrating. I need help to figure this out.

danjo86

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Did you get it figured out?
I have a 2013 chevrolet equinox 2.4l ecotec vvt. I just rebuilt the engine with new rings, pistons, bearings, cams, rockers, lifters, valves and timing. I have also replaced almost all of the sensors, as well as the cat. New fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump, fuel pump in the tank. New coils and spark plugs.
It runs smooth on the road or at idle while in nutral, but at idle in gear it surges and bucks. There are no codes. It is so frustrating. I need help to figure this out.

danjo86

Reaction score
Most likely the chain jumped when u toqured the cam bolts. Spin the motor over a bunch by hand. Can't tell u how many times ,but I done it. Check the timing. I'd almost bet it's a tooth off on the exhaust cam.

Clark111t

Reaction score
It's been timed and retimed 4 times with new components everytime. I know I wouldn't be off that many times.

danjo86

Reaction score
It's been timed and retimed 4 times with new components everytime. I know I wouldn't be off that many times.
I'd check it . Mine would surge at stops. Not always. But would get pretty ruff. It was a tooth off on the exhaust cam. I used all gm stuff. I have done 4 of these cars. An this one I timed idk how many times. The last time I turned the motor till everything was lined up. Took a while. It was a tooth off .

ANGLICO

Reaction score
also if your exhaust is moving like you say try putting the old exhaust vvt solenoid back in after you clean it and see if it does better. i think i mentioned that i had to put the old vvt solenoids back in for a few months because i got a few codes and after putting the old and clean vvt solenoids back in the codes went away and then about a few month i tried the new ones again and all was good. i have no clue why that was but for some reason the ecu and phasers did not like the new vvt solenoids. this is a lot to take in but it is the best i can offer based on what i had going on. and tons of research and i did not have a scanner that took the readings your getting. just trial and error.

one more question you said you changed map and most if not all sensors etc. when you had the intake off did yon probe the tiny hole in the center area of the intake for the pvc? that plugs up and can thro off the pvc vacuum and that just could also be a reason as the vacuum is changing day to day. i actually drilled completely thru that hole and out the other side and then put in a long screw into that to pug it and use it for a pvc cleanout port and clean it out now and then when the engine started running bad again. but after that mod i then installed a normal pvc system so i may not ever need to use that now. and there is a YT showing how to do that as well. if i remember gm went back to a normal pvc in 2018 the pvc upgrade YT

pluged pvc port
View attachment 1811
clean pvc port

View attachment 1812

screw for cleaning the pvc port with the intake still on the engine it is jsut a screw and i can take it out to run a pin into this hole to clean out the pvc port but that was before i installed the normal pvc system so i may never have to use it now
View attachment 1813

Equinox/Terrain 2.4L Ecotech Clogged PCV Orifice Quick Fix Without Intake Removal

(granted, this is just a more fancy way to cover the hole you drill - as opposed to a metal screw)

Here is a video of a guy who did the Drill Through to Clean Out the PVC hole without removing the intake manifold. He JB welded a nut over a larger hole and uses it as a port, like this screw is being used.

1700101272161.png1700101336087.png

1700101395802.png1700101529893.png

1700101782606.png

Video of how the guy did this (shows drilling hole, placing nut, cleaning out the PVC with wire):

Attachments

• 1700101365483.png
    1700101365483.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1700101760306.png
    1700101760306.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Members online