2014 equinox jerking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danjo86

Reaction score
2014 equinox 2.4. jerks and miss at stop light. Runs fine an doesn't happen all the time. New timing chain vvt actuators ,plugs. Ac Delco high pressure pump. New piston rings. Any ideas? Haven't gotten a code . U can rev those motor an it will smooth out. If I didn't post right sorry . First time an doing it off a phone.

NOX4ME

Reaction score
Run down the tank to about 1/4 then add one bottle of Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Fill tank with a top tier fuel -- preferably premium then drive vehicle -- preferably turnpike/freeway for about 15 minutes. Then stomp on the accelerator. Watch your speed because a State Trooper will give you a ticket if you exceed the speed limit. Do this about four or five times then drive normally. The condition should change.

corvairbob

Reaction score
my kids car does that and what i think is going on is the TB is not set after the timing chain i did for her. if she put it in neutral at stops it ran good. i think what is going with her car and maybe your car is the trans is kicking it at idle and then that bogs down the engine and then the engine speed drops a bit and the trans kicks out like putting back and forth in drive and neutral. if you hold your foot on the gas just a bit does it get smoother? or if you put it in neutral does it get smooter? one thing she did was keep the a/c button turned on and the ecu makes the engine run a bit faster to make up the power loss with the a/c pump on. give that a try or have someone that has a scanner that can reset the tB for correct idle than that may do the trick. the same thing happens when you take the tB off to clean it then it needs to be relearned. i have to get a scanner that will let me relearn her car. good luck

danjo86

Reaction score
I have done a relearn on tb. I did get a code yesterday for fuel rail pressure sensor. I swapped it . Same issues. An yes if I raise the rpm it will smooth out. If I put it in neutral it still has a miss. But the car doesn't shake an bounce. I robbed a set of injectors off a parts car. Mine looked really bad. Carbon. I'm going to try that. These are super clean. I will post either way on the out come.

danjo86

Reaction score
Run down the tank to about 1/4 then add one bottle of Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Fill tank with a top tier fuel -- preferably premium then drive vehicle -- preferably turnpike/freeway for about 15 minutes. Then stomp on the accelerator. Watch your speed because a State Trooper will give you a ticket if you exceed the speed limit. Do this about four or five times then drive normally. The condition should change.
I think u maybe right. After I pulled the injectors an seen the carbon there's no way the can be spraying correct. Just the center was open. I'm swapping them out after work. Iv checked the timing again. The injectors are the only thing I haven't replaced. I hate throwing parts at one. Even with a scanner watching live data nothing is off. Only thing I saw was the cam shaft would go to 6 or 7 when it ECU wants 5. ..

corvairbob

Reaction score
I have done a relearn on tb. I did get a code yesterday for fuel rail pressure sensor. I swapped it . Same issues. An yes if I raise the rpm it will smooth out. If I put it in neutral it still has a miss. But the car doesn't shake an bounce. I robbed a set of injectors off a parts car. Mine looked really bad. Carbon. I'm going to try that. These are super clean. I will post either way on the out come.
ok i can only suggest what i have done. they tell me the equinox is suppose to relearn the TB in a few drive cycles but my girls car has yet to relearn. you could have a bad injector that just can't quite spray at idle speed. good luck and let up know.

danjo86

Reaction score
Swapped injectors . No change. Ran treatment in tank no change. Got code p0089 p228D . Change sensor on fuel rail no change.

corvairbob

Reaction score
here is one site talking of the p228d code. when i re-did the girls 2013 i had that code and i took the cover off the HP pump and the code went away. can't sat that is your issue but! make sure the connections are good and clean. for me i think the cover interfered with that connector.
link https://www.engine-codes.com/p228D.html

link for the p0089 https://www.engine-codes.com/p0089.html they talk here of the HP pump connector connection hence i took off the cover to that pump and th issue went away.

one more on teh p0089 code may be from the tank pump

they talk of HP pump nd yo changed it and now have issue maybe try the old HP pump and see if it goes away you may have got a bad HP pump

good luck

corvairbob

Reaction score
another possible fast fix https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=44202d91a95b813557f6796958ae9bd3&action=view

this one is for the equinox that may be more what is going one

he shows a 3rd sensor under the driver side that turned out to be the root fault let us know that is a sensor from the tank
this one shows the issues starting with the cams and crank not aligned and then setting the p0089 and the p228d

being you changed all that out i do not lean to this YT but anything is possible at this point. but i would leand to the HP pump being this started after new parts good luck

danjo86

Reaction score
I put a pump on last night also. Same issue. I keep getting a code for fuel rail sensor. I tried one from AutoZone. Leaked fuel out of the plug. I have an ac Delco on the way. I'll post what ever I figure out. Hopefully no one else runs in to this mess.

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok are you positive you got the timing correct? i see a few YT showing those same codes and they seem to be related to the timing. so if you change out all those sensors and it fails, then a double check on timing might be in order. i think you can just check the cams with getting the crank pulley off and the key in the 12 oclock position this YT and 4:52 shows the crank key at 12 oclock then you can doulble check the vvt phasers for 10 oclock on the exhaust and like 2 oclock on the intake the chain marks may not show up but 5:55 on the video show the phasers

this is cloyes prociedure and it is a bit shorter and tells where the crank and cams are in the 2:30 area

you may not have to go thru this but like i say if the 3 sensors do not fix it then you may have timeing or phaser issues. did you actually change the phasers? they do go bad and if you do deciede to change the phasers make sure the check the engine if you have the lea engine the intake and exhaust phasers are the same. you can tell by the cam dowels being in the same like 8 oclock position or look at the phasers and you will see the aligments are the same spot. been there done that. if you did not change them and deciede to go to cloyes and input the vin and they will set you up with correct parts good luck

danjo86

Reaction score
Yes I changed them. The sensor under driver's side I read to unplug it when the misfire happens. If it runs smooth than that sensor is the issue. I don't know if that's right or not. I'd try anything at this point., But like with all intermittent issues now I have something to look at its running perfect. Can't get it to misfire now.

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok thanks for the update. outside of a bad sensor or even a new sensor that is bad i'm out of ideas. if you changed out the phasers did you get them from cloyes? i got my first chain set from ebay and the phasers were junk and the shain guides also. so then a guy that has a YT talked of cloyes and i got them and they worked good and still working good after 2 years. so if you got an ebay parts they may be faulty. but based on the codes it sounds like it is either a wireing issue you have not found yet or sensors. or bad phasers.

one thing you can do is double check the wires and make sure you did not break one pinch one during assemble or leave a ground off or lose, if it retruns take the wire plugs off and doulbe check in the plugs to make sure the pins did not bend or break or pull loose and are not actually in the plug all the way, it happens keep us up updated. one thing you may do is find the south main auto channel on YT and search his site for that issue he does a good job showing how to fix issues. he may have your posted. good luck

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok i came accross this froum thread on teh travers site and you may have seen it but just in case i did send the YT that is in this forum link so you may omit that video but it is the last of the thread. in this thread on guy gives some help with what pids to look for if you have a scanner that can take them. for the most part as i said you most likely have a wire issue or you have a bad HP pump or sensors. on thing did you put a gasket on the HP pump when you installed it or just use rtv? if you used rtv you that may be the issue as the gasket gives the HP pump the correct distance from the intake cam lobes and if it sets to close it may be getting the high pressure form over stroking the HP pump.

here is another one that may be more related as it start out at the p0089 and p228d code

also i found this one that relates the vvt solenoids so if youhave yet to change them then follow this forum thread ands see the photos he posted. if you have yet to inspect them then that just could be an issue as if they do not send oil to the phasers then the phasers do not move and can give the p0017-17 codes

this 2nd thread the issue was the cam phaser the 3rd thread is the vvt solenoids.

yea i know losts of info but try to check some out and they may help you figure this one out. also like i say if you got your chain set from ebay and decide to change it out again go to cloyes. i had to as the ebaset failed in 6 months.

good luck

Last edited:

danjo86

Reaction score
Took a short 60 mile trip today . Lots of stopping. Has yet to misfire again. So I know it's not fixed . But regardless of it runs good for a month of I ever figure it out I'll post about it. I'm going to drive it like there's nothing wrong with it. An see what happens.

danjo86

Reaction score
Update on the issue. I can command the fuel pump off an on . When I turn it off get the same miss. Swapped relays . Next if that doesn't cure it drop the tank an put a new pump in. I am 100 % it's fuel related. It's identical to the miss. Ac can touch the gas pedal with pump still off an it smooths out .

corvairbob

Reaction score
make sure you check the filter as they can cause this type of issue in the fuel side of missifires but what is puzzling is when you give it just bit of gas it smoothes out. also i guess i do notunderstand you turn off the pump and the engine still runs. the pump must still be on and your scanner just tells you it is off. it can't be off and run as you know.

can you hear the pump change speeds when you turn it on and off? i'm still leaning on sensor issues or you may have a bad cam reluctor that is moving. we had one person on this site that had the exhaust reluctor that moved was that you?

danjo86

Reaction score
Wasn't me. An yes it's off. I used the depressurize fuel system on my scanner. If I leave it on off car will run out of fuel. I can watch the cams on scanner. They stay where ECU wants them. It's not happening every day. I figured if the reluctor ring move it would be constantly missing. I can drive it a few days an it might not miss. An my understanding is the filter is it the fuel pump assembly?

corvairbob

Reaction score
if one of the reluctor rings are moving it can be in sync one day and out the next. there was a guy here that had the same issue and he had the exhaust reluctor that was moving. he go a new cam and the issue went away.

if you telling me you turn off the pump and before it runs out of pressure in the system the engine starts to run smoother then i would be looking at the high pressure pump. did you put a gasket on that new pump or use rtv? if you used rtv or the gasket was thinner than normal the hp pump may be putting out to much pressure and causing the issue. but you say interminntant leads me to a possible issue like another guy had with the cam reluctor moving on the cam. you may be able to find that thread, i do not have it anymore. maybe you can post ask who had the reluctor moving on there exhaust cam on a 2013 equinox. i think that was the year. another thing some have are when the car is cold the b1s1 02 was bad and they put in a bosh and it did not hep they had to use ac sensor there. but that was for cold starts.

the only thing left i can think of is the gas peddle sensor failing as that can cause a misfire i had that on my girls equinox also if you can test for that, and the last thing if you can do a test where you turn off each plug or injector and it the miss sounds the same you coild have a bad injector or plug or coil. good luck

what scanner do you have for doing bi directional commands?

corvairbob

Reaction score
i dug this up online if your scanner can read cam signals on the scannerdanner fourms 24 Apr 2021 15:59 #48338

this may help you dirtirmine if there is a chance the phaser/s may be causing the issue even if you changed them one could still be bad.

1675730898408.png

the site thsi came form but i did not see a comparrison for both cams on this site yet

if you go to that site on the left you can check what graphs you want to see and then save and compare if your scanner will graph these then you ahve a known good graph to compare with your car.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.