2013 Equinox Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miamisburg

Reaction score
Due to a worn key, I replaced the keyfob shell on a 2013 chevy equinox keyfob. The circuit board and metal key were the same as the original keyfob, I just moved them to the new shell. The keyfob with the new shell will lock and unlock the car but will not start the car. I suspected it was somekind of security feature but I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I never used the new keyfob. Now my second keyfob also has worn keys so I'm trying to get the replaced keyvob (the one with the new shell that won't start the car) to work. After viewing a youtube video, I performed the following actions.

1. I put the working key in the ignition and started the car
2. I let the car run for 20 second or so
3. I immediately put the replaced keyvob (the one with the new shell that wouldn't start the car) into the ignition and the car started!
4. I let the car run for several seconds (to program the keyfob - even though it should have already been programmed at the factory).
5. I thought I was homefree, but I then retried the new keyfob after a minute or two and it won't start the car anymore.

I suspect there is a timeout/security issue, but I can't figure out how to get the new keyvob to work (permanently).

If you have any ideas, I would appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.