2013 code questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok guys i have the 2013 equinox 2.4 ecotec auto awd and i had to rebuild itlast fall. new timing chain guide phasers tensioner and the same for the water pump. but the water pump is not the issue. and for timing it is hard to mess that up being i had the color marks to go by. i put the crank at 5 o'clock and the cams were exhaust at like 10 o'clock and intake at 2 o'clock

anyway, i'm getting these codes now and i have no clue yet where to look. this is my girls car and it does use a bit of oil and she let it get a bit low last week and on the way to work it gave her a bump and then she got 3 codes. p0011 p0016 p0017 . so i figure the p0011 was due to low oil and the cam a phaser failed to align itself. so she did find it was a bit low. anyway she had the oil changed and p0011 did not return but p0016 and p0017 come back and today i changed out the phasers just in case they were the cause and they came back. they come back fast i rev the engine and turn it off and when i restarted it they are there.

so in doing some research one common issue they say could be the crank sensor but i do not yet get a crank sensor code. so can anyone here give me an idea where to look? i measured the ohms on the old solenoids and both were 13 ohms and they did click. also the same for the new solenoids they were 12 ohms and they clicked when i put 12 volts to them. so i do not think the solenoids were bad.

all i have to do testing is a centech scanner and voltmeters but because with changing out the solenoids and getting the same codes back i'm not leaning on those being the issues

see photos at where i set the chain. i did go by some YT vids to make sure i got that correct. and when i rotated the crank they did come back after a few turns and no interference with the valves that i could feel or hear.

thanks for any ideas on this one bp.

Attachments

• 20211031_151209.jpg
    20211031_151209.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211031_151410.jpg
    20211031_151410.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 3

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok i got the second timing set in and it has done well. the engine has more power and no codes for timing. so i figure the timing has been brought back into specks now. i also installed new vvt valves as well just in case.

she now has that surge warm at stops. again i have a couple of things to try before i build a throttle plate idle-stop into the TB to hold the plate open like carbs have.

i want to test for a plugged oem pvc port and i did install a pvc valve on the oil filler cap that may be checking closed at idle and messing with the idle mix causing the engine to surge. if she gives it a bit of gas or puts it into neutral that surge goes away. that may be then letting the engine run fast enough to run smooth with the vacuum it has.

thanks

Gmcdean

Reaction score
U could remove the pcv and shake it listening for a clicking sound which means it's ok. Also I've heard of people putting them on backwards(not sure about that one). Also check for special coverage. This is an after warranty coverage.

corvairbob

Reaction score
this has no pvc that you can remove. but for the ine i just put in it and that is new so i do not believe it has failed yet.

Members online