2012 Equinox 2.4L LT running rough at just 3000 RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarharttMommy

Reaction score
My equinox has over 250000 km on it, im a jeep girl at heart but this car was given to me for free by my parents so I treat her like she’s a jeep and a track car at the same time. She’s getting the CV axles changed this Wednesday.

Recently when I’m driving and I rev to 3000 RPM, it starts sounding like you’re cutting wood or metal on a band saw. After I pass 3000, it sounds normal. Before 3000 all is normal too. It’s just that 3000 rpm mark that causes me trouble.

We changed the camshaft position solenoids just over a year and a half ago so I doubt it’s that, but im not sure. Any ideas are great

TopHat

Reaction score
I was looking at weird noises in a Honda group at 3000 rpm. Apparently different RPMs cause different noises when something is loose. Possibilities it could be loose heat shield or other lose item in exhaust system. Check for anything loose before thinking engine/transmission, etc.

Dragonary

Reaction score
Timing chain guide may have broken (known issue on these). Any performance issues or timing codes?

TopHat

Reaction score
Have you checked the connection of the air filter system for misconnection? Filter too dirty etc.

Also, does it "resonate" at 3,000 RPM in all gears. Could be exhaust system loose somewhere underneath.

Members online