2010 Equinox with gas smell at start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcave44

Reaction score
Got a 2010 Equinox that often (though not every time) has a gas smell in the cabin at startup. Engine runs a little bit rough for the first minute or so and smooths out. No roughness when driving. No gas smell once moving. Smells more at cold startup in morning and less if the engine is warmer throughout the day. Thoughts? Fuel pressure sensor on rail?

Related or not - seem to have an oil leak somewhere (beyond the usual burning oil like a mother due to that piston problem they never notified me about). Bottom of engine on passenger side shows oil dripped all over and there's a drip on floor sometimes. Can post pics if that helps.

Thanks for your thoughts! Love these forums for pointing me in the right direction for various issues.

tcave44

Reaction score
Took some video of startup. I'm thinking the exhaust manifold is cracked AGAIN (third time!?). And I should clarify that the smell is not straight gas and not straight exhaust, FWIW. Would make sense that there's a smell and a little rough at cold startup if it's the exhaust manifold again, right? Thinking the drip I've been seeing is something else, too, so this might get expensive.

HalftimeB

Reaction score
I have same issue, checking for cracked manifold as well. You said 3rd time, is there no aftermarket header option to go with instead of same cast iron b.s. manifold? I’m not doing this over and over again. Thanks

tcave44

Reaction score
Apparently this problem is common on these engines. I had an exhaust manifold replaced a few years ago and it cracked again within the one year warranty period so I got it swapped for free. I don't know about aftermarket parts - I'm mostly a noob who enjoys learning about what's going on and being educated going into mechanics. I know when I searched briefly for manifolds there was only the Dorman that came up, but I didn't search too hard.

HalftimeB

Reaction score
ZZP Headers

I have read Dorman is trash. I want to know if this ZZP can work and do steel headers instead of cast iron trash that will crack again.

comp

Reaction score
if there is a crack it can throw the A/F ratio off,,,what the 02 is seeing,,,then the manifold gets hot and seals up the crack enough to help the A/F reading...Im in Sothern IN. and dont hear about alotta craked manifolds,,,,LS and Hemi yes but 2.4 ??? are these a Cold issue , like snow hitting them when hot ? water splash?

HalftimeB

Reaction score
No clue how it happened to mine, in Maryland and get all the weather here. I just want headers and call it a day. No one on this forum with a 2nd gen has aftermarket bolt on headers??

cliffyy24

Reaction score
Got a 2010 Equinox that often (though not every time) has a gas smell in the cabin at startup. Engine runs a little bit rough for the first minute or so and smooths out. No roughness when driving. No gas smell once moving. Smells more at cold startup in morning and less if the engine is warmer throughout the day. Thoughts? Fuel pressure sensor on rail?

Related or not - seem to have an oil leak somewhere (beyond the usual burning oil like a mother due to that piston problem they never notified me about). Bottom of engine on passenger side shows oil dripped all over and there's a drip on floor sometimes. Can post pics if that helps.

Thanks for your thoughts! Love these forums for pointing me in the right direction for various issues.

the oil leak is more than likely the crank shaft seal I just replaced mine on a 2012 equinox 2.4l is very easy to do just YouTube oil leak on equinox it will show up i believe its the first one. it took about a hour to do it .

swisscheese

Reaction score

As far as your excessive oil usage, are you using synthetic? If you are a dump that crap and switch to High mileage syn blend, 10-30 in the winter and if needed 10-40 in the summer. I went from going through 4 quarts in 5000 miles to 1 quart in 3000 miles. Plus the high mileage oil is better with additives in it for your seals.

cliffyy24

Reaction score

the oil leak is more than likely the crank shaft seal I just replaced mine on a 2012 equinox 2.4l is very easy to do just YouTube oil leak on equinox it will show up its the first one I believe. it took about a hour to do it .

Guido

Reaction score

tcave44, It sounds like you might have a coil pack misfiring on start up, which is causing your gas smell. The oil leak sounds like the front crank seal which is very common on the the 4 cyl.

Staff online

Members online