2010 chevy equinox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan6424

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought a 2010 chevy equinox with 122,000 miles on it. The service sticker says its been less than 100 miles since the last change. Drove home ( 40 mile) and the low oil pressure came on. Checked it and it was very low. What would cause that problem?
Second question the sticker also said 5w-30 DEX oil was used. So I have no idea what kind of oil I should put it in. Would synthetic be better, confidential, or blend.

cavell

Reaction score
I figure oil level was good at dealer. Either it’s leaking or it’s being burned.
friend bought Subaru From dealer. Blew head gasket in 100 miles. He fixed it. Was it bought as-is? He never really said. I didn’t push him.

Last edited:

JGreg7

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought a 2010 chevy equinox with 122,000 miles on it. The service sticker says its been less than 100 miles since the last change. Drove home ( 40 mile) and the low oil pressure came on. Checked it and it was very low. What would cause that problem?
Second question the sticker also said 5w-30 DEX oil was used. So I have no idea what kind of oil I should put it in. Would synthetic be better, confidential, or blend.
My son had a Toyota which he had the oil changed at a local oil change shop. They used the 5w-30 oil and it burned out in a few days damaging the camshaft a bit. We replaced it with 20w50 oil and it operated fine (except for the camshaft noise). I suspect that the lighter weight oil may have been too thin for the engine. After we changed the oil to a heavier version, he continued to drive the car for another year with no other issues until he traded it in..

Canalman

Reaction score
Hello,
2010 4 cylinder are known for excecive oil consumption..

Joan_Morris

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2010 Equinox, 127,000 miles. The engine was replaced (by GM) 4-5 years ago because of an issue with the engine. They didn't do a recall because not all cars were impacted, but basically, the engine starts eating itself and dumps a lot of metal particles into the oil. The main symptom, if you will, is the car starts burning oil. You should have the car checked at a Chevy dealer to see if this is one of the unlucky ones. I had a couple of other issues earlier that turned out to be in direct correlation to the oil/engine issue, and GM refunded the money I'd been out in repairs. Once the engine was replaced, I never had another issue, but I had to fight with my dealership (former dealership, that is) to get them to take me seriously. Didn't sour me on the Equinox, though. I just bought a 2021.

mechanicbudd

Reaction score
Hello,
What do you mean you checked it and it was very low? oil pressure is different than oil being low on the dipstick. If you only drove it 40 miles I hope you have brought it back to the dealer. If the oil is very low on the dipstick and it was burning you would be followed by a huge cloud of blue smoke. If no blue smoke, you would have a trail of oil behind the car and a large oil stain under the car. So if it is just low oil pressure you may need an oil pump, you may be able to get by with high mileage oil or switch to a 20-50 oil or even a 50w oil if you live in a warmer climate. Your car is out of warranty so even if they suggest synthetic oil you don't HAVE TO use it. Synthetic oil is just to help you meet epa gas mileage requirements from the government and to meet Chevy's requirements. Good luck. I know it was probably sold as is but come on 40 miles I think you may have a case so I would at the very least argue it with the dealer.

TARDIS B

Reaction score
Sounds like you bought someone else's old problem. The 2.4L ecotec engine in these equinoxes are known oil burners. I don't think you'll qualify for the class action lawsuit for this car because I believe the cut off is 120K miles, but you never know. My wife and I just traded in her 2015 Chevy Captiva with the same engine because it burned over a quart every 500miles. It only had 115K miles. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.