2007 equinox, p0171 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overlordexo

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2007 chevy equinox with the 3.4l v6. Recently, since I performed a tune up I noticed I'm getting bad milage, and the ecm is throwing a p0171 code (lean bank 1). The vehicle runs and idles smoothly and I'm not having any drivability issues, other than it's only getting 10mpg around town, and maybe 20mpg on the freeway.

I possess a bi directional scantool so decided to look at the data stream, I noted that the O2 1 voltage reading stays at 0mv no matter what the RPM of the engine, or speed the vehicle is driven at. The O2 2 voltage seems to sit steady around 800-900mv without any fluctuations. As I said, the vehicle is running rich, and I've read that such conditions can cause the first o2 sensor voltage to remain at or near zero.

I've done all the following things to attempt to remedy the situation, with no success.

Changed the air filter, inspected all vacuum lines for breaks or leaks, removed and cleaned the MAF sensor. I also purchased a can of B12 chemtool and added to the tank today.

I have purchased a top end gasket kit and planned to remove/replace the upper and lower intake manifolds and replace their gaskets/bolts, but I started to think.

Could the O2 sensor just be bad?

I reset the fuel trim and cleared the DTCs then observed the data stream, the readout from the 1st O2 sensor fluctuated slightly between 0 and 3mv for a couple of minutes before returning to a zero value - the second sensor remained fairly steady, fluctuating between 600-900mv for a couple of minutes until the ecm adjusted the fuel trim back to a rich condition.

Any thoughts, suggestions before I jump in to replacing the manifold gaskets?

Thank you in advance

lyoung4379

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2007 chevy equinox with the 3.4l v6. Recently, since I performed a tune up I noticed I'm getting bad milage, and the ecm is throwing a p0171 code (lean bank 1). The vehicle runs and idles smoothly and I'm not having any drivability issues, other than it's only getting 10mpg around town, and maybe 20mpg on the freeway.

I possess a bi directional scantool so decided to look at the data stream, I noted that the O2 1 voltage reading stays at 0mv no matter what the RPM of the engine, or speed the vehicle is driven at. The O2 2 voltage seems to sit steady around 800-900mv without any fluctuations. As I said, the vehicle is running rich, and I've read that such conditions can cause the first o2 sensor voltage to remain at or near zero.

I've done all the following things to attempt to remedy the situation, with no success.

Changed the air filter, inspected all vacuum lines for breaks or leaks, removed and cleaned the MAF sensor. I also purchased a can of B12 chemtool and added to the tank today.

I have purchased a top end gasket kit and planned to remove/replace the upper and lower intake manifolds and replace their gaskets/bolts, but I started to think.

Could the O2 sensor just be bad?

I reset the fuel trim and cleared the DTCs then observed the data stream, the readout from the 1st O2 sensor fluctuated slightly between 0 and 3mv for a couple of minutes before returning to a zero value - the second sensor remained fairly steady, fluctuating between 600-900mv for a couple of minutes until the ecm adjusted the fuel trim back to a rich condition.

Any thoughts, suggestions before I jump in to replacing the manifold gaskets?

Thank you in advance

lyoung4379

Reaction score
Hi, I had a P0171 code on my -06 Equinox, and tried a few different things, before it finally dawned on me the MAF sensor could well be the culprit. If the MAF sensor is reading off, the engine thinks its getting an airflow which it's not actually getting. Therefore it schedules an incorrect amount of fuel into the engine. So, I bought a new MAF at AutoZone and VOILA EUREKA - P0171 disappeared. I took the old MAF and did a couple continuity checks across the wires, found one continuous and the other open. Don't know if that's what the issue was, since I didn't have an electrical schematic; but the new MAF fixed my issue with P0171. Easy fix, too - about 45 mins to R2 the sensor. Good Luck.

Members online

No members online now.