08 Pontiac Torrent GXP 3.6 Rough Idle when AC is OFF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StarlightWarden

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a relatively new owner to a 08 Pontiac Torrent GXP that I got back in December. It has been throwing four codes, P0008, P0014, P0016, P0024, which I recognize are for the timing chain stretching. I plan to get the chain replaced in a week or two once I have enough saved up, in the event my extended warranty won't cover it.

Anyway, I was leaving the store last Tuesday, May 23, the car was running fine the whole day until I started it up, and it started chugging/idling rough intermittently. Chug for a bit, run smooth, chug again, in a pattern. What I noticed however is that when I turn my AC on, it'll run smooth, almost like factory smooth. Is this related to the timing being bad? I figured if the timing advanced from the chain being bad that it would rough idle the same regardless of what accessories were or weren't running.

I purchased the car in December, 2021 with 115k miles, sitting at 129k miles, safe to say the timing chain is the original one. I do regular 3k full synthetic oil changes on it.

Members online