'08 Nox doors wont lock/unlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papabearpaul

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 2008 Eqiunox With a little over 53,000 miles on it. Just started having a problem with the door locks/security system. Doors must be locked/unlocked manually as the inside controls or the FOBs will not operate them. If you try to lock with the fob, the alarm will arm but doors will still not be locked. As soon as you open any door, the alarm will sound off. The rear gate is not affected though as this will still lock/unlock with the fob. Has anyone here had that problem or know what could be wrong? My guess is the driver door lock actuator but I am not sure and don't want to just throw expensive parts at it. If anyone can help me please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.
Paul

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
Hey Paul, Have you checked the fuses for the door locks? I believe there is also a relay for the door locks as well. I would check those first before getting too involved in specific door lock parts. anyone else have any thoughts?

papabearpaul

Reaction score
Yes I have checked all fuses and relays. All are good. Thanks for the suggestion.

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
Sometimes....... when you are stuck its worth it to take it in just to have the issue diagnosed. I hate doing it, but sometimes the fee is worth the time savings.

prheaume

Reaction score
I'll say the actuator too, or a defective switch. Usually a defective switch will make the remote to not operate properly.

papabearpaul

Reaction score
Sometimes....... when you are stuck its worth it to take it in just to have the issue diagnosed. I hate doing it, but sometimes the fee is worth the time savings.

Yeah I know. I already made an appointment at the Chevy dealer but its a huge blow to my ego!!!

joesgt281

Reaction score
Hey guys, newbie here. Had this same problem and found you guys talking about it. I went ahead and replaced mine and took some pics to hopefully help the next guy. I bit the bullet and got the new solenoid/latch at the Chevy dealer when my local parts stores didn't carry any...set me back about $130. Hope this helps.

Equinox pictures by joesgt281 - Photobucket

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Hey guys, newbie here. Had this same problem and found you guys talking about it. I went ahead and replaced mine and took some pics to hopefully help the next guy. I bit the bullet and got the new solenoid/latch at the Chevy dealer when my local parts stores didn't carry any...set me back about $130. Hope this helps.

Very nice! If you put this in the 05-09 Maintenance forum I will make it a sticky...

If you had it in the form of a write up anywhere feel free to add it here!

It will help out a ton!

papabearpaul

Reaction score
Took it to the Chevy dealer last week and they said all 4 door latches were bad and would have to be replaced at a whopping cost of $880.00 plus tax. I have swapped out engines for less than that!
I asked how is it possible that all 4 latches went bad at the same time? The service advisor could not answer my question. All she said was the "Tech" could not get a signal at any of the latches. When I suggested that perhaps the module was at fault, she said the latches were bad. I paid the $85.00 check out (legalized robbery)fee and high tailed it out of there. Just bought the drivers door latch on ebay for about $30.00 brand new. I will install it when it arrives and see if the door works. Somehow I'm not too optimistic!

papabearpaul

Reaction score

Great pics Thanks for sharing.

joesgt281

Reaction score
Paul, I'm with you...if all 4 don't work, it implies some single component like the module.
I did have another Chevy a few years ago, a Suburban, which had problems with all doors, but it was the solenoids. They didn't all go out at one time, but within a year I had to replace all 4 of them. Apparently a real weak point for Chevys.

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
Took it to the Chevy dealer last week and they said all 4 door latches were bad and would have to be replaced at a whopping cost of $880.00 plus tax. I have swapped out engines for less than that!
I asked how is it possible that all 4 latches went bad at the same time? The service advisor could not answer my question. All she said was the "Tech" could not get a signal at any of the latches. When I suggested that perhaps the module was at fault, she said the latches were bad. I paid the $85.00 check out (legalized robbery)fee and high tailed it out of there. Just bought the drivers door latch on ebay for about $30.00 brand new. I will install it when it arrives and see if the door works. Somehow I'm not too optimistic!

For $85 bucks, you have the right to speak with the tech not the service manager who just relays half ass information.

I'm pulling for ya my friend that it works!!! :peace:

papabearpaul

Reaction score
The stealer was right!

The dealer (stealer) was right!!!!! Although I can't understand how 4 door actuators can go bad at the same time, that was the problem. I received my bargain brand new ebay driver door latch, installed it (what a P.I.T.A.) and I have a working drivers door lock again. I guess I'm just going to have to save up a few dollars and buy the other 3. In the mean time, I will keep an eye on it and see if it goes bad again. In my mind, it is highly improbable that all 4 went out at the same time for no reason. I still think there is an underlying cause that made all 4 go bad. For now, at least the drivers door works again. If anything changes, I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the help and pictures.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
The dealer (stealer) was right!!!!! Although I can't understand how 4 door actuators can go bad at the same time, that was the problem. I received my bargain brand new ebay driver door latch, installed it (what a P.I.T.A.) and I have a working drivers door lock again. I guess I'm just going to have to save up a few dollars and buy the other 3. In the mean time, I will keep an eye on it and see if it goes bad again. In my mind, it is highly improbable that all 4 went out at the same time for no reason. I still think there is an underlying cause that made all 4 go bad. For now, at least the drivers door works again. If anything changes, I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the help and pictures.

Maybe give Auto Zone or Advanced. They might have universal latches that will work for your vehicle. Also readily available and affordable... I could be wrong but it couldn't hurt to check...

I hate how they seem to think that can keep customers by ripping them off...

raeos1500nm

Reaction score

I have the same problem with the locks on my nox also. Started with the driver door, moved to the passsenger, and now the back driver door. I am just waiting for the back passenger door. My question is, Is it the door latch, the door lock actuator, or the solenoid? I want to make sure I buy the right part before throwing away all that money for it to be the wrong part.

Members online

No members online now.