08 Equinox/Pontiac Torrent 3.6 Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StarlightWarden

Reaction score
Hello there! I'm new here. A couple months ago I started financing a beautiful 08 Pontiac Torrent GXP, 3.6L (same thing as the Equinox Sport of the same year basically). A month or two ago I was running some errands and at a red light that turned green not even a mile from the house my transmission locked into first gear. High RPMs and couldn't go faster than 40. After ten minutes of cooling off it was fine again.

Come this last Saturday and yesterday, same thing happened, no manual shift option when trying that to see if I can limp home, han to pull over yesterday and wait for it to cool of again, afterwards it was fine and I could use manual again (which I don't use). Now I will say I haven't had a chance to check the codes to see what they bring up, I've had a check engine light for what I was told was an O2 sensor since I bought it but need to look into it. I know these 6T70 transmissions can be junk for a number of reasons, often times the 3-5-R plates. What would be the most likely cause for the transmission getting stuck in first? I don't know where the transmission fluid dipstick is if the 3.6 have one or not, I know the 3.5s don't have one. I'm not super experienced cars.

If anyone would have any insight or knowledge, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have a warranty that'll cover most of the transmission costs but I am sadly not made of money, so if I can avoid a crazy costly repair I'd be grateful.

rwagoner

Reaction score
That's not a transmission problem, most likely. You are probably going into limp mode due to something else, and it is designed to protect the engine. The trans problems involve NOT going into gear, and are not nearly as common as presented on-line. In actuality, it is the transmission computer seals that probably cause more issues than the wave plate.

You REALLY need to check codes ... the check engine light is not just a decoration ...

StarlightWarden

Reaction score
That's not a transmission problem, most likely. You are probably going into limp mode due to something else, and it is designed to protect the engine. The trans problems involve NOT going into gear, and are not nearly as common as presented on-line. In actuality, it is the transmission computer seals that probably cause more issues than the wave plate.

You REALLY need to check codes ... the check engine light is not just a decoration ...
I did end up getting the codes ran. I had three for bank 1 and bank 2 timing being out of sync (which I know it's time to change the chain) and P0700 request MIL Illumination for the transmission.

As far as limp mode/transmission problems go, when it is stuck in that gear or whatever it is, I can definitely smell burning transmission fluid after the fact either way, which only has happened in the three times it has done this. Beyond that and the timing needing done, it hasn't had any problems, runs really nice otherwise.

cavell

Reaction score
I bought a 2010 equinox w/2.4 that had a new timing chain but bum trans. i drained black trans fluid and refilled but I had 1-2 gears but no 3rd up. I let it sit for 2-3 months after I found out used trans was $2000+. And rebuild was more. Then I sold it.

Members online

No members online now.