07 Loud scraping and clicking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07noxbomb

Reaction score
New here and looking for info on an issue that's developed with my nox.

When in drive, my 07 equinox has a super loud clicking, popping and scraping sound coming from the front end. It happens only when the car is moving (even coasting)

Could that be the front differential?
I checked the dust covers on the rotors and they are well spaced and the brakes have lots of life left ... Don't know what else it could be

corvairbob

Reaction score
does it do this louder when turning? if so then a cv joint. look at the boots on the axles and if any of the boots are cracked broken off or you see oily area around the inside tire then the grease is or has leaked out and they are failing. you can fix this yourself if your handy repairing cars lost of YT showing how to do it. and for telling what one might be the issue

07noxbomb

Reaction score
Thanks corvairbob ... It doesn't get any louder when turning ... But checking again, I do see leakage in a seal that I believe is a CV boot. I also do hear a bit of a grinding noise when I make a left turn and the left side is where I see the leak. I half wonder if maybe there are two things happening at once? The clicking, rattling and popping is as concerning as it is loud.

At one point it made a strange gurgle noise, then all the rattling etc went away and the vehicle drove smooth as butter. For about 30 seconds ... Then all the noises came back again lol.

Hopefully is a simple fix whatever it is. I'm taking it into the shop this week in and will report back once it's been diagnosed.

07noxbomb

Reaction score
Ahh It's the front differential I think ... This video at 4:00 shows the exact sounds I am hearing from the front end when the car accelerating or decelerating!

corvairbob

Reaction score
ok but is your car a AWD as if it is just a FWD they do not have the same differential that this video shows this one is the rear diff. on the rear. but if you have AWD then the below link is the front differential and they come off and you could change it easy enough if handy. to test this you can jack it up all 4 wheels off the ground on jack stands and push a bit on the car to make sure it is secure on the stands then put it in drive and get under it and can hear the noise when the wheels are moving. take a stick and put it to your ear and touch the other end to different places on the differential and the area the front axles come from and see where the noise is louder, that will tell you the parts that are failing. but it could be that differential if you have one this is what it looks like. search for using a stick to hear engine noises it is the same for this test as well

thanks for the updates and good luck

corvairbob

Reaction score
forgot if you can get under the car and check the oil level on the differential if it has one and see if it has oil on it that will be a good sign that you have issues also. when you take out the plug look for metal shavings on the inside of the plug if you see any another good sign. to check the lever use your finger if you take the plug out and no oil comes out stick your finger into the hold to the first knuckle and bend the finger down to try and touch the oil. take out your finger and if you have oil on your nail or tip you have oil. it is low but you have oil and rub it to see if it feel smooth. if not you have issues. it should take 90 weight oil but do a YT to see or your manual to see what it takes as some take 40 weight not grease oil not motor oil unless the manual tells you to.

07noxbomb

Reaction score
Those are great tips! I did bring it to the mechanic and waiting for a diagnosis, but this should come in quite handy for others trying to diagnosing weird clanking and grinding issues :)

07noxbomb

Reaction score
Well, this was a surprise. It turned out to be the wheel bearings on the driver's side. It was expensive to fix since I couldn't do it myself, but at least it's driving again and is smooth as butter on the road.

The new problem, of course, is that I realized it has eaten 3.5L of oil in the past month. That can't be good 😂

Members online