‘22 LT check-in, and a noise concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wns808

Reaction score
Hello all, dropping in to say hello and also doing a 3-month check-in on my ‘22 LT. I have the Summit White exterior with Jet Black interior, and equipped with the Confidence/Convenience, Infotainment & Safety packages. 3,400 miles later, loving it. However, the concern I have with my ‘Nox is developing a thumping noise around 45-55 mph and very noticeable on asphalt roads. I’ve changed the OE Michelin Primacy A/S tires, thinking those were the culprit with Cooper Endeavor Plus’, and while the Coopers are quieter and better than the Michelins, the thumping is still there and seems to be coming from the front area. My hunches are leaning toward either a failed suspension component or a faulty wheel bearing, but why the premature failure with either potential component at such a low mileage under normal driving conditions? Driving conditions vary between local stop and go traffic, along with freeway driving. My nox isn’t driven hard or aggressively either .

- Will

ricklack

Reaction score
Wow, sad to hear that. I have over 36,000km on my 22 RS and no noises.

I would hightail it to the dealer and have them check that out. Does it do it every time, or is it intermittent?

wns808

Reaction score
Wow, sad to hear that. I have over 36,000km on my 22 RS and no noises.

I would hightail it to the dealer and have them check that out. Does it do it every time, or is it intermittent?
Every time, and very noticeable on smooth asphalt

wns808

Reaction score
Seeing the dealer this Thursday, very unusual for a ‘22 to be making that kind of noise with only 3,500 or so miles on the clock under normal driving

wns808

Reaction score
Update: now also starting to notice a bit of vibration on asphalt roads when going about 50-55 mph .. something is telling me a front rim, axle or bearing is bad/bent/worn and causing this. Anyway, going Thursday to the dealer and having it all checked

ricklack

Reaction score
Good luck, please be sure to let us know what they find. Hopefully it is something minor. At least if is constant, they should be able to hear it and get it fixed.

wns808

Reaction score
Update: no trouble found, everything checked OK, dealer chalked up to road surfaces contributing to some of the aforementioned noises I was describing, even had the service manager go on a ride with me to observe. Of course, all is fine when the service manager rides along. He said it was based on the tread and how it interacts with the asphalt. Got my complimentary oil change & tire rotation, ready for the MI winter. Service manager told me I’m not the only one that’s addressed something like this and they see common concerns like this

But, riddle me this, all .. if everything checks out OK mechanically with my ‘Nox, are they right about how the tires behave on asphalt?? Or should I raise a BS flag as well as hell on the dealership? Still hearing things on various asphalt

Last edited:

ricklack

Reaction score
I get varying road noise on some stretches of asphalt, but not thumping.

I travel the same highway to and from work and there is a stretch on the way home that there is some difference in the asphalt and it reacts with the tires to make an odd (and different) noise than anywhere else. I hear this same odd noise on one or two other spots I drive often.

This is not related to the Hankook Kinergy Gt on my 2022, my 2013 with Michelins also made a different noise on this same stretch, and with different tires (brands and snow tires).

Not sure how helpful that is, just throwing it out there.

wns808

Reaction score
I get varying road noise on some stretches of asphalt, but not thumping.

I travel the same highway to and from work and there is a stretch on the way home that there is some difference in the asphalt and it reacts with the tires to make an odd (and different) noise than anywhere else. I hear this same odd noise on one or two other spots I drive often.

This is not related to the Hankook Kinergy Gt on my 2022, my 2013 with Michelins also made a different noise on this same stretch, and with different tires (brands and snow tires).

Not sure how helpful that is, just throwing it out there.
Some surfaces of asphalt as well as concrete itself. I don’t hear anything. However, on other asphalt surfaces, especially on newly paved asphalt, the thumping is as clear as day going 50+ mph. Having heard this not only with the original Michelin Primacy A/S but also on the Cooper Endeavor Plus IMO doesn’t seem like a tire issue to me and the dealership I went to doesn’t want to admit there’s a problem mechanically, since “they” claim everything checked out OK and the service manager feeding me some BS line about all of the newer tires doing this and just seemingly wanting to shoo me off their shop. Problem is, because of work I can’t keep taking a lot of time off, nor do I want to keep plowing $$ on tires

At a loss on this one, do I just deal with the noise and let the Coopers wear some, or do I start my fight with the dealership on this one? Either way, dealership is going to get a less than favorable survey from me

wns808

Reaction score
update: survey came in and I expressed my unhappiness with the dealership’s service department’s inability and the service manager’s lack of concern to fix the issue

ricklack

Reaction score
If the dealer refuses to help I would contact Chevy customer service. Unless there is another dealer nearby you could try?

Since both tire brands made the same noise, it is clearly an issue with the car.

As for the survey, last time I gave a bad review and the dealer called me and gave me a credit on future services. They also used my email as a training tool for their service advisors to pay attention when customers speak. Sometimes they actually listen.

Best of luck, clearly they need to actually listen to what you are telling them.

wns808

Reaction score
If the dealer refuses to help I would contact Chevy customer service. Unless there is another dealer nearby you could try?

Since both tire brands made the same noise, it is clearly an issue with the car.

As for the survey, last time I gave a bad review and the dealer called me and gave me a credit on future services. They also used my email as a training tool for their service advisors to pay attention when customers speak. Sometimes they actually listen.

Best of luck, clearly they need to actually listen to what you are telling them.
Agreed, the ball was completely dropped on the dealership’s part, and this was being as specific as possible with them. At the same time I find it amusing and disappointing that a service manager of all people can use any means of deception and trickery to fool customers just to get them out their door

If anyone wants to know the dealership’s name, it’s Bill Fox Chevrolet in Rochester Hills, MI. Got my Equinox from Ed Rinke Chevrolet in Warren, MI as it was a good deal a few months ago, but because of proximity the dealer in Rochester Hills is closer

wns808

Reaction score
Update: BBB and a GM resolution agent have now been engaged since the dealership I went to last week has failed to respond to any of concerns

Reaction score
Michelin tires on my '19 Nox be noisy also, diff roads noise varies. "M" tires are harder for less rolling resistance so one may try softer ones an get less gas mileage or just crank up the radio. Jus say'n....

wns808

Reaction score
Michelin tires on my '19 Nox be noisy also, diff roads noise varies. "M" tires are harder for less rolling resistance so one may try softer ones a get less gas mileage or just crank up the radio. Jus say'n....
Understandable for a ‘19 ‘Nox, but this sort of thing should NOT be happening on a brand new ‘22 ‘Nox. As mentioned earlier I replaced the OE Michelins with something else, but the thumping noise at 50+ mph is still there and I specifically explained this to the dealership the 1st time, but they “claimed” nothing was wrong mechanically, failed to acknowledge or have some shred of concern for the problem, and was rather interested in feeding and duping me a BS line and getting me out of their shop as fast as possible. As ricklack said, something mechanically wrong is likely, but the dealership refuses to admit it and not even wants to follow up with me regarding my concern. Therefore my action involving the BBB against the dealership is justified, now working with a GM resolution agent as well, and if it takes going even further, so be it. Apologies for sounding like a perfectionist, but if you bought/leased something new and are paying good $$ on it monthly, wouldn’t you expect it to run flawlessly aside from performing basic maintenance on it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, of course one would expect a new ride to be flawless inna perfect world. My previous 2011 Nox had a noisy Engine, consumed oil and I had to live with it 'till I traded for a new 2019 Turbo 2 LT. This is one outstanding small Engine which will lay rubber no sweat. Only car/truck I've owned where i"m leery of tromp'n the pedal from dead stop 'cause it will smoke the Tires.
However, the road/wind noise is much more apparent than the 2011 probably due to another effort at shav'n weight for fuel efficiency. So, the moral of the story here is I gained a tremendous amount of performance along with a higher decibel producing ride.
Further, comparing domestic/foreign Autos , and I hate to say this, my kid is on her third ES350 Lexus and from driving an work'n on 'em, the Engineering, performance and comfort is hard to beat. Is it worth the price new? Hell no! However a sound pre-owned one is doable for most of us tight wads I think, IF ya wanna Sedan over a midsize SUV.

wns808

Reaction score
Update: someone from the dealership has reached out to me especially with my involvement with the BBB, will keep everyone posted on how this goes

Spoke with the dealership, looking to bring my ‘Nox back to the same dealership in a few weeks when work schedule allows. Hopefully this time there is a resolution

Last edited:

wns808

Reaction score
Update: set an appointment with the dealership for Tuesday November 22 to have a 2nd crack at it, spoke with a GM resolution agent and she advised me of the next steps to hopefully get this fixed. I really like my ‘Nox and don’t want to lose it to a lemon law if I have to keep chasing the problem and don’t want to keep wasting time on the problem either

Last edited:

wns808

Reaction score
Update: vehicle is now with the same dealer a 2nd time. Currently have a loaner ‘20 Nox from the dealer. Was also greeted with a snarky attitude from the prior advisor and she told me “Thank you for the bad survey even though I had nothing to do with it ..” Hopefully there is a fix this time. Service manager didn’t even have the guts to face me and show any remorse .. coward. He probably knows he fucked up the 1st time and that this time I mean business. This will all be noted in the next survey

BTW my loaner ‘20 Nox has 44k on its clock and doesn’t even near make the noise at 50+ mph my ‘22 Nox is making

Advised the dealer arbitration will be the next steps if they can’t find a fix and for them to try different roads

Last edited:

Members online