Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Equinox, Terrain & SRX Modifications > Exterior Modifications

Exterior Modifications

Need confirmation on Bulb replacement....

This is a discussion on Need confirmation on Bulb replacement.... within the Exterior Modifications forums, part of the Equinox, Terrain & SRX Modifications category!
I have the 2011 Equinox LT..2.4 Just bought H9 replacement bulbs ( Narva ) for low beam H11. I just ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

parlyle is on a distinguished road
Default Need confirmation on Bulb replacement....

I have the 2011 Equinox LT..2.4

Just bought H9 replacement bulbs ( Narva ) for low beam H11. I just need some confirmation for fitting these into the existing base ( H11 ).
I know that this has been gone over before, but I would like to have another opinion as to the viability and safety of putting these into the new Nox.

Does the base of the H9 need to be filed down? And is the heat generated by the 65 watt bulb going to fry the wireing of the 55 watt H11's
I really don't want to see my car in a pile of melted plastic on the driveway someday. Just joking..........Not

Thanks for any responses....... and Have a Good Day!

Lyle
parlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

Yeah there is some minor alterations needed to make it work... Let me find the thread for you and I will post the link...

I need to do this too!
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

2010BlkGraniteNox is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by parlyle View Post
I have the 2011 Equinox LT..2.4

Just bought H9 replacement bulbs ( Narva ) for low beam H11. I just need some confirmation for fitting these into the existing base ( H11 ).
I know that this has been gone over before, but I would like to have another opinion as to the viability and safety of putting these into the new Nox.

Does the base of the H9 need to be filed down? And is the heat generated by the 65 watt bulb going to fry the wireing of the 55 watt H11's
I really don't want to see my car in a pile of melted plastic on the driveway someday. Just joking..........Not

Thanks for any responses....... and Have a Good Day!

Lyle
I've had the same setup on mine since I purchased the Nox in March 2010...No issues. As for "firing" the wiring. We know 2 constants...The Volts and Watts, thus we can figure out the amps. Amps are what will fire the wires, not watts. Amps is the actually follow of electrons (electricity) so to say.

W=A*V thus 55/12=4.58A draw

new bulbs

65/12=5.42A draw

Wiring would have to be 24 gauge or smaller for this to be an issue, and then stock would have issues. Looking at the wires, I've guessed them to be 20gauge, and should have a rating of 11A, the new bulbs are not even close to this max rating. HID kits actually put more of a draw on the wiring then adding these higher wattage bulbs.

And yes...Just make the base of the two the same and you have to remove the connector tab on the inside. Just look at the bulbs you remove, and make the base and connector the same. There is so little difference between them.

Hope this helps!

2012 Silver Imapala LT 3.6 VVT SIDI 304HP (work car)
2012 Audi A3 Sportback Premium Plus TDI (current)
2010BlkGraniteNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

parlyle is on a distinguished road
Default Great explanation.......

Originally Posted by 2010BlkGraniteNox View Post
I've had the same setup on mine since I purchased the Nox in March 2010...No issues. As for "firing" the wiring. We know 2 constants...The Volts and Watts, thus we can figure out the amps. Amps are what will fire the wires, not watts. Amps is the actually follow of electrons (electricity) so to say.

W=A*V thus 55/12=4.58A draw

new bulbs

65/12=5.42A draw

Wiring would have to be 24 gauge or smaller for this to be an issue, and then stock would have issues. Looking at the wires, I've guessed them to be 20gauge, and should have a rating of 11A, the new bulbs are not even close to this max rating. HID kits actually put more of a draw on the wiring then adding these higher wattage bulbs.

And yes...Just make the base of the two the same and you have to remove the connector tab on the inside. Just look at the bulbs you remove, and make the base and connector the same. There is so little difference between them.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the info. It really explains the viability of doing this mod in ways that I haven't a clue as to how it will work or not. I had a chance to occupy a seat in high school chemistry for 1 day. I saw the large periodic table on one side of the room and realized I was not meant to be anything close to a chemist or anything similar in any science. I went to the art room and got an "A" in that class.
When I do this I will post the results.
Thanks again for the response......
Lyle
parlyle is offline   Reply With Quote