Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 2010+ Equinox Maintenance

2010+ Equinox Maintenance

Oil Change Uh-Oh

This is a discussion on Oil Change Uh-Oh within the 2010+ Equinox Maintenance forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
Hey Everyone, Thought I'd share this with ya'll so you don't do what I did. I was due for an ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

kooz_jr is on a distinguished road
Angry Oil Change Uh-Oh

Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd share this with ya'll so you don't do what I did.

I was due for an oil change on my '10 Nox, and no dealership had openings so I decided to do it myself. No big deal, I thought, I've done it myself on other vehicles for years...

Long story short, got the car up on ramps, drained the oil, changed the filter, new oil in, badda bing badda boom, end of story. Car starts up, throw it in reverse, and NOTHING! The transmission is totally dead. No movement whatsoever. Backup camera on, reverse lights on, no movement. Forwards or backwards. I'm sitting there rocking the car back and forth, revving the engine, thinking maybe the parking brake got stuck, nothing.

Got it towed to the dealership, they had never heard of this type of problem before, nor had the tow truck driver. I'm sitting here thinking, this can't be a coincidence. What the hell happened?

So I think I figured it out...the best I can tell I drained the transmission fluid instead of the motor oil, and now have effectively doubled the amount of oil in the pan, and have zero transmission fluid. Makes perfect sense, and I'm sure ya'll can imagine how stupid I feel. Naturally, the dealership is closed now and I have to wait till Monday to hear the hysterical laughter over the phone (hopefully not, lol) and to find out whether there was any damage. From what I've read, and maybe this is right or wrong, but without fluid the torque converter is just gonna sit there and spin and not engage, and unless you actually got the car moving and out driving somehow, chances are this is an easy fix.

Hopefully, since the car didn't actually move, and I didn't try THAT hard to get it going, all that has to be done is to refill the tranny fluid, and drain and replace the engine oil and filter. Naturally this'll be an expensive lesson, as the rental charge will be on me now, and the $60 worth of oil and new filter is gonna have to be drained and chucked. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to laugh about this soon. The worst part is having to wait until Monday!

It's ok, go ahead and laugh guys

Have a great weekend and a happy holiday!
kooz_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

oleg1981 is on a distinguished road

probably nothing happened! the transmition was in no operation mode!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

I am with Oleg! Probably no issues at all! Just needs fluids!

Any update on this?
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crossover Professional

08PILOT is on a distinguished road

Man, I bet you were freaking out, I know I would, but I gotta
Toy Hauler: "Feathers" Aluma 8218T
Owner/Admin "TN Classic Truck Club"
08PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
VENDOR

Black02Silverado is on a distinguished road

How many miles on the Nox? Probably no damage and actually did a good thing if you never had the transmission serviced and you have some miles on it. No need to change the oil filter since it is new. I would just drain the oil from the engine and top back off with fresh fluid. All should be well.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Paul79UF is on a distinguished road

I'm sure we've all done mistakes like that.

Don't beat yourself up.

I had two incidents with my Yamaha R6 motorcycle. Once I filled the tank with diesel and didn't make it very far. The second time I oiled the air filter too much and it barely ran. Cost a pretty penny for new plugs, filter and coils.

Live and learn.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

jimstod is on a distinguished road

Has anyone done a trans fluid and filter change on 2010 nox? If so tell me about it.
Thanks,
jim
jimstod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

bigbillsd is on a distinguished road

Is there really a drain plug on an equinox tranny? I've never seen one on any transmission before. I've always needed to drop the pan to change the fluid.
bigbillsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

padavid12 is on a distinguished road

I did that on the first car I owned. It was a 56 Dodge. I had never done an oil changed before. I always thought it funny that I had to put 3 quarts trans fluid on every oil change. Needless to say, I never thought to check the oil and drove the car. Sometime later I did another oil change. Same problem. Added three quarts trans fluid and drove the car. A few miles later the old Dodge started burning oil and the trans started slipping. Looked under the car and the whole bottom was covered with oil. Cost me $200.00 for a rebuild on the engine and trans. Never did that again. Of course that was in 1961.
padavid12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

CClive is on a distinguished road

Back in the 70's, I worked at a Pontiac dealer when I was in school. We had a guy with a new Trans Am who did this. It ended up with a rebuild on the transmission and new seals on the engine...very expensive for him. I'm glad you didn't run the engine too much.
CClive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Admin

Originally Posted by CClive View Post
Back in the 70's, I worked at a Pontiac dealer when I was in school. We had a guy with a new Trans Am who did this. It ended up with a rebuild on the transmission and new seals on the engine...very expensive for him. I'm glad you didn't run the engine too much.
I would be ill!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crossover Professional

prheaume is on a distinguished road

On the previous garage I worked, we had a new guy that just got out of mechanic school. He did an oil change on a Hyundai Sonata, the drain plug for the engine and the transmission are really close, so he drained maybe 500ml of transmission fluid.

We decided to make fun of him. Another tech was doing the brakes on the car so the wheels were removed and the caliper was not installed yet. I told the guy to start the car and engage the transmission to see if everything is ok. When he put the car on drive, the disc brake started to turn, the tech with his foot push the caliper on the disc so it makes a metal sound. I said STOP RIGHT NOW !!!!

Maybe you have some air in the tranny, go to the part and ask for a rubber hose that fits on the transmission gauge. He remove the dipstick and put the rubber tube over the dispstick tube. I told him to blow air in the tube to bleed the transmission. The guy was red when we told him it was a joke
prheaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Admin

Wow!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Big.PaPa.X is on a distinguished road

I did trans service on a 10 nox. All you can do is a drain and refill. The transmission has to be removed to change the filter. If you want drain and refill instructions, I can post them.
Big.PaPa.X is offline   Reply With Quote