Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 2010+ Equinox Maintenance

2010+ Equinox Maintenance

Balance Chain Pins - Service Letter

This is a discussion on Balance Chain Pins - Service Letter within the 2010+ Equinox Maintenance forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
I own a 2010 Equinox with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. Since shortly after taking delivery, the engine has made ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

floater-1 is on a distinguished road
Default Balance Chain Pins - Service Letter

I own a 2010 Equinox with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. Since shortly after taking delivery, the engine has made a ticking/tapping/annoying noise...took it to the dealer a couple times - first time they said it was "normal"...2nd time they installed a black foam piece around the top of the block/valve cover (close to the oil filter access)...the noise didn't go away, but GM must have thought this would stop people from complaining about it. Anyway, lo and behold the end of August I received a letter from Chevrolet (Milwaukee, WI) discussing the potential for the 2010 with the 2.4L engine to have problems with the chrome layer on the balance chain pins wearing, allowing the chain to stretch, possibly causing engine noise and maybe even causing the chain to break...the letter also said the fuel pump plunger shaft seal may wear and allow fuel to leak into the crankcase...so, I called my dealer and scheduled an appointment to have them look at my car - they said they would need to "examine" it to see if it needed the repair outlined in the letter. They called me to say there was "no evidence of wear" on the affected parts...but after my insistence, they agreed to replace them. We picked the car up and now - NO MORE NOISE...anyway, I wanted to alert other owners so that they don't take their dealer's word that the repair isn't needed...my dealer said they could repair the car "at my request"...and all of this was done at NO CHARGE. The letter was signed by Jim Moloney, General Director- Customer & Relationship Services. It provides a number (1-800-222-1020) if there are any other questions...good luck to everyone who has this problem.
floater-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

hamstercar is on a distinguished road
Default Equinox Balance Chain

I just had my dealer repair the Balance Chain Problem. I live in a small town, so I am surprised by the poster's problems in getting his situation repaired. My dealer was completely gracious and scheduled an immediate fix. GM paid the tab, so I'm confused by the previous poster's problems. All seems to be fine now.
hamstercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

Some dealers are crusty! They don't want to do warranty work when the can do other jobs that pay.
dietz4ibanez is online now   Reply With Quote