Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > GMC Terrain and Cadillac SRX General Discussion > GMC Terrain General Forum

GMC Terrain General Forum

Lug Nut Covers

This is a discussion on Lug Nut Covers within the GMC Terrain General Forum forums, part of the GMC Terrain and Cadillac SRX General Discussion category!
I'm new here. I bought my 2010 Terrain in May 2012. This winter it seems as though the center lug ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Dagan729 is on a distinguished road
Default Lug Nut Covers

I'm new here. I bought my 2010 Terrain in May 2012. This winter it seems as though the center lug nut cover on the chrome wheels falls out when the temperature dips below -27'C. Has anyone else had this happen? I love the car but GM in my area says hey have never heard of this. I can't imagine I'm the only one this has happened to. Is there a remedy?
Dagan729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

bowtieman is on a distinguished road

Never herd of it, but if GM doesn't fix it or will not replace a lost one, I would remove them in the winter time at least .

Or if you don't like the way that looks , you can put a little clear silicone on the mounting points when installed. The silicone should not damage the wheels or cap and can be peeled off later. I would test a small amount and let dry to see.
I use this product for years with no prob. I use it on my lil chrome caps for the license plate cover since they always fell off. This stuff is cool cause if you get it on something you don't want, just let it dry will peel off. Just a suggestion. Better than losing them.

Born 7/2011 Purchased 2012 1LT 9/25/11
Black Granite Metallic Jet Black Interior
FWD-2.4L DOHC 4CYL
7" Color Touch screen w/Rear Vision Camera
Driver Convenience PKG: 8-way seat, Remote Start
Add on's: GM Fog light Bezel/Fogs
GM Chrome handles, GM Chrome Roof covers
Drive with my hands not my feet!!

Wife's ride: 2011 Chevy Malibu LTZ
bowtieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Lug Nut Covers

Thanks. I thought of that but it can be unreliable in the cold also. I uses the best short answer is take them out in winter. The service manager in my home town was surprised also.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

trbstang is on a distinguished road

GM had a similar problem with the center caps on the 2009 Pontiac Vibe GTs, but it was not a temperature issue. The caps were constructed a tiny bit too small and they were easily dislodged. Most of the 2009 models you see are missing one or several of the caps. GM's first solution was clear RTV, but they did end up redesigning the part making it larger. Luckily my Vibe GT is a 2010 so it has the larger caps from the factory.

Good luck keeping them attached!
trbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

1ATony is on a distinguished road

This is pretty common with that style lug nut. you could replace them with regular chrome lug nuts. You should be able to find them at your local parts store.
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well. No one from the dealership would admit to knowing anything about this problem.....
They did however step up to the plate and replace all four covers at their expense. Score 1 for the new GM. Good for you guys and thanks.