Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 2010+ Equinox General Forum

2010+ Equinox General Forum

2019 Equinox water in spare tire well and floor of back seats

This is a discussion on 2019 Equinox water in spare tire well and floor of back seats within the 2010+ Equinox General Forum forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
Anybody know of any known leaks in the 2019 Equinox? I have a Premiere with the sunroof and have just ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

suarich is on a distinguished road
Default 2019 Equinox water in spare tire well and floor of back seats

Anybody know of any known leaks in the 2019 Equinox? I have a Premiere with the sunroof and have just discovered water in the spare tire well and also the floor in the back seat area with mold.

Taking to dealer in the morning, just trying to make sure they look everywhere.
suarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ke6zri is on a distinguished road

Sounds like leaks in the seals of the door frames or sunroof..possibly the molding was not placed in properly at the factory . Would check the trim around all doors and windows and see if molding is attached properly to the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ke6zri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

BMobilia is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by suarich View Post
Anybody know of any known leaks in the 2019 Equinox? I have a Premiere with the sunroof and have just discovered water in the spare tire well and also the floor in the back seat area with mold.

Taking to dealer in the morning, just trying to make sure they look everywhere.
I am having the same issue with my 2019 Equinox Premier. I was curious to what the dealer found with yours and if you have had additional problems since. Thanks
BMobilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mbourque is on a distinguished road
Default 2019 Equinox leak

We have the exact same problem. Spare tire compartment full of water and back seat rugs soaked and have mold. We bought the top of the line model for nearly 50 k and are not happy. We have an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday. Unfortunately itís going to rain and snow for the next 2 days. Ugh
Mbourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Gordito is on a distinguished road
Default Micro Climate in Equinox

We purchased the all new Equinox in 2018, and it now has 7000 miles on it. Recently a micro climate has manifested inside the vehicle. I woke up one morning to see condesation all over the inside windows like a sweating beer can most of it on the windshield plus the upholstery was damp. The vehicle has has not been compromised and this phonemona has come out of nowhere. The vehicle has a sun roof, but we have only opened it twice. A very peculiar situation as we rarely drive the Equinox. I took the Equniox to a glass shop and they tested the drain holes on the sunroof and found no issues. He said perhaps the windshield seals are bad and a new glass will be $800. You have to love that Chevrolet quality.
Gordito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Spare tire well

Hello Forum, I just checked the Spare tire wheel well and the compartment was full of water and mold. The basic warranty has now expired therefore I sincerely doubt the dealer will assist. What is causing this issue becuase I may have to fix this myself.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bobbread is on a distinguished road

Just came back from Chevy dealership
My 2019 Equinox Premier had a moldy wet smell I googled and sure enough water in the spare tire wheel well
Anyway I was told that I left my sunroof open
but they graciously removed the water and removed the smell for $75 unfortunately they left the wet mat in the car under the tire
Time will tell on this
Anyway after reading all the posts I find it hard to believe that it was my doing only because I never opened the roof
Soooo disappointed
Bobbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Spare tire well

We took the 2018 Equinox to a Glass replacement shop per the local Chevy dealer since we were onemont out of warranty. The first glass shop checked only the front two drain holes and reported no issues. Unknown to me at the time the Panoramic sunroof has four drain holes. In my scenario only the driver side rear hole was clogged. To fix the issue the rear interior of the vehicle has to be disassembled starting at the spare wheel floor and then work your way up the sides of the hard plastic walls until finally dropping the headliner to gain access to the drain ports. If you attempt this you must use extreme care to not touch the interior sun shade of the sunroof mechanism. If you ajar or wrinkle the sun shade it will never look or operate the same again. This design is very problematic due to when the rear port of the sunroof leaks it drops water all over the electrical relay box located on the driver side rear of the vehicle. The relay has it own small service door accessible from the trunk storage area. Add to that if the water accumulates long enough in the spare tire whell well mold will become pervasive (in my case) under the subfloor which covers the spare tire compartment. This entire episode has been a nightmare to put it politely.