Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 2010+ Equinox General Forum

2010+ Equinox General Forum

2018 Questions

This is a discussion on 2018 Questions within the 2010+ Equinox General Forum forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

kastner03 is on a distinguished road

my 8” dims to the point that i almost cant see it and the 7” in the loaner i had overnight last week did the same. i hate bright interior lights so dimming them down is the first thing i do. i would venture to say yours isn’t working properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kastner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lee

Lee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kastner03 View Post
my dimmer next to the headlight switch dims my radio display maybe something is wrong with yours ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried mine and the dimmer switch will dim the 8" radio display on my 2018.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

gpart is on a distinguished road

BTW, ONE IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFORMATION:

THE DIMMER SWITCH IS A SPRING-LOADED PUSH-BUTTON.

It needs to be (gently) pushed in and it then pops out a little so it can be turned to adjust the lighting.

When done adjusting the IP (instrument panel) lights, either leave the button in the "out" position or push it back in to "lock" the setting in place.

If that still doesn't adjust the lighting on the IP, then I'd suggest a trip to the dealer.

Last edited by gpart; 10-04-2017 at 09:51 AM.
gpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Tatumd78 is on a distinguished road

2018 Equinox displays are basic 7in, 7in with nav, 8in. The basic 7in display does not have a setting to adjust the brightness. This is a safety issue and should be addressed. At the dimmest setting the control panel is difficult to see yet the infotainment display is still too bright.
Tatumd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

techpro is on a distinguished road

Just purchased a LT with C&C option. The 7" display as already mentioned is way too bright at night and does not dim. Discussed with the dealer and he confirmed this is correct. Turn off the display is only solution. Maybe GM will do a software update if enough people complain.
gpart likes this.
techpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Reset radio, backup camera problem

After trouble shooting one day I found the issue with my bright lcd screen. It is in correlation to the backup camera.
At night, reset radio by holding home and fast forward. Radio will go off. Release buttons.
Radio will reset with the nighttime lighting. It will stay dim until the car is put into reverse and the backup camera is activated. Once the backup camera goes off, the lcd screen will stay bright and not revert back to the nighttime light until the radio is reset or the car is turned off long enough for the radio to shut down.
Contacted my Chevy dealer. They replaced the headlight switch and it didn’t correct the problem. They are researching other possibilities.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

c&wsinbad is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the engineers need a basic course in software interoperability and integration. (Sorry, that was my organizations functional responsibility in the US Army--certification of software interoperability.) Or maybe just a brief outline of intended functional capabilities of the equipment--ie, there should be a dimmer function for the 7 inch screen.
c&wsinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #23 (permalink)

bachastain is on a distinguished road
Default Screen brightness

2018 Equinox Premier. I have the Nav 8" screen and starting from the radio screen, it does brighten a bit when I put it in reverse. It then stops responding to the dash dimmer and stays bright for as long as I keep it in reverse. Switching to Drive restores the radio screen and it returns to obeying the dash dimmer dial. I can then dim it to almost black. So for my setup, it doesn't permanently stick in bright after reverse.
bachastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default LCD nighttime lighting MALFUNCTION

I've had my car to two dealers and both have acknowledged the bright LCD malfunction.
They both tested other 2018 Equinoxes with the 7in screen and found the malfunction in them also.

Radio will dim as long as the backup camera has not been used during the current drive. Initiating the backup camera changes the lighting to the screen and the radio gets stuck in the brighter lighting at night.

Resetting the radio will immediately correct the problem and the radio will dim when the nighttime lighting is on. The radio resets when you hold down HOME and FAST FORWARD, or a few minutes after the car is off AND the driver door has been opened.

Owners must take their vehicles to a dealer, reproduce the problem to prove the malfunction, and have the dealer run a tech call with Chevrolet.

Getting the service person to acknowledge the problem is tough but once it is reproduced over and over they will finally see. Chevrolet says they will not fix the problem until more owners come forward.

I have also reported the malfunction to the Division of Highway Safety.