Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 2010+ Equinox General Forum

2010+ Equinox General Forum

2018 Equinox rear light removal

This is a discussion on 2018 Equinox rear light removal within the 2010+ Equinox General Forum forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
I'm trying to upgrade to LEDs for the reverse lights... those factory low output bulbs need to go. But these ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

18nox is on a distinguished road
Default 2018 Equinox rear light removal

I'm trying to upgrade to LEDs for the reverse lights... those factory low output bulbs need to go. But these lights are next to impossible to remove. No screws that I can find and no instructional videos that I can find anywhere.

Anyone successfully remove them yet?

If I end up finding one, I'll post it here.

18nox

2018 Pepperdust Metallic 2LT AWD
-LTG Intercooled 2.0T DOHC SIDI, VVT
-GM Hydra-Matic 9T50 9-Speed Auto
18nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

kastner03 is on a distinguished road

it looks like maybe you need to remove the plastic panel on the inside of the hatch to remove them iíve been wanting to do the same just been too busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kastner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by 18nox View Post
I'm trying to upgrade to LEDs for the reverse lights... those factory low output bulbs need to go. But these lights are next to impossible to remove. No screws that I can find and no instructional videos that I can find anywhere.

Anyone successfully remove them yet?

If I end up finding one, I'll post it here.

did you get it apart yet? iím trying to find the part number for the bulb so i can order some less but nobody seems to have a listing for 2018 bulbs yet

Old 11-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

18nox is on a distinguished road
Default 2018 Equinox OEM backup lights to LED replacements

Originally Posted by kastner03 View Post
did you get it apart yet? i’m trying to find the part number for the bulb so i can order some less but nobody seems to have a listing for 2018 bulbs yet

Oh yeah.... total pain in the ass installing them too! You need to "CAREFULLY" jimmy the outer clips (closest to the edges of the hatch door) away from the brackets... you won't be able to totally remove the rear plastic inner panel. I was able to get the panel pried away far enough to get to the sockets and make the swap. Beware though, the clips have a death grip on the brackets they are mounted to... I ended up cracking my inner panel trying to pry it away from the hatch door on the passenger side...

cheap Chinese plastics!

Anyway, after 30 or so minutes of wrestling with the panel and trying to re-install it, I'd say it was worth it. The lights are easily twice as bright and will light the way when backing up.

Here are the LED's I purchased and installed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are links to pics of the backup lights:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CrF...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/167R...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Trs...ew?usp=sharing

Good Luck!

18nox

2018 Pepperdust Metallic 2LT AWD
-LTG Intercooled 2.0T DOHC SIDI, VVT
-GM Hydra-Matic 9T50 9-Speed Auto

Last edited by 18nox; 11-20-2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: general corrections
18nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by 18nox View Post
Oh yeah.... total pain in the ass installing them too! You need to "CAREFULLY" remove the rear plastic inner panel, I cracked mine...

cheap Chinese plastic!

Anyway, after 30 or so minutes of wrestling with the panel and trying to re-install it, I'd say it was worth it. The lights are easily twice as bright and will light the way when backing up.

Here are the LED's I purchased and installed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are links to pics of the backup lights:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CrF...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/167R...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Trs...ew?usp=sharing

Good Luck!

thanks! thatís great news i have a pair of $30each phillips leds from my last equinox and my previous cruze that i can use. i was hesitant spending $60 on reverse light bulbs but they are super bright and are now going into their 3rd vehicle so i guess it was worth it. surprised gm has kept the bulbs the same for this long seems like the like to change things just to do it... like changing the damn bolt pattern for the wheels

Old 11-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by kastner03 View Post
thanks! thatís great news i have a pair of $30each phillips leds from my last equinox and my previous cruze that i can use. i was hesitant spending $60 on reverse light bulbs but they are super bright and are now going into their 3rd vehicle so i guess it was worth it. surprised gm has kept the bulbs the same for this long seems like the like to change things just to do it... like changing the damn bolt pattern for the wheels

never mind these bulbs wonít work, when they power down they still stay on very dim

Old 11-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

for anyone else wanting to do this, this shows all the clips you have to deal with about 4 times more than should have been needed i found it helps if you go around the edge with a trim removal tool and pop the outside ones loose then use a real long flat head screw driver to reach in and kinda pop loose the others

Old 11-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

sylvania zevo 921 leds are also a no go they do the same thing as the phillips i have... whatís even odder is that the backup cam stays on the screen all the time while these are installed if the cars runnign put an email into phillips to see what they say. i know you got urs working but trying to put the info out there for others

Old 11-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

cosfamo is on a distinguished road

trying to replace my reverse lights with LED's as well.
Did you have to take off the full back panel, to change a light bulb? Appreciate any advice.
I bought the Alla Lighting 2pcs Extremely Super Bright 1000 Lumens 921 912 T15 W16W LED Bulb High Power 4014 30-SMD LED Lights Bulbs for Back-Up Reverse Light Lamps Replacement. Just need to get them on!!!
cosfamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

the whole panel had to come off, take out the torx screw by the bottom handle and the 2 push pins then you have to carefully pry the panel off i used a wide plastic pry bar to go around the outside and get those clips loose then a really long flat head screw driver to reach in and pop the inner clips loose once it comes off be careful if you have the power lift gate because the wire for the close button isnít very long curious to see if the bulbs you got work!!

Old 11-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

damn. seems like a lot of work to change 2 light bulbs.
did you notice that black piece of plastic next to the lights on the tailgate?
It's wedged in right next to the lights, looks like it's holding the brake lights in place. I was hoping to be able to pull that off and then slide the housing out.

Also, thinking about trying to upgrade my headlights to LED's. Anyone know a good brand ? or reputable company in Chicago or the burbs?
why would Chevy still use halogen lights?
Old 11-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

i thought the same thing. way more work than it should be but the only thing in there is the reverse lights and i would guess 99% of people will never have to change them. iíve never had one burn out! that black piece doe nothing. thereís nuts on the back of each reverse light housing holding it in

what trim level equinox do you have ?

Old 11-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have the LS. No power liftgate.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

iím sure there are plenty of led headlight options out there for you then sorry i canít help there. i have an lt which has hids so i havenít looked into any replacements

Old 11-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

The reverse lights that I have Are a no go. They constantly stay on. Iíll need to return them. Did anyone find any that do work properly?

Also, if I put led headlights does that void the warranty? Anyone have knowledge. Thanks