Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 2010+ Equinox General Forum

2010+ Equinox General Forum

2011 1LT V6 3.9k: Seems like A/C is always ON

This is a discussion on 2011 1LT V6 3.9k: Seems like A/C is always ON within the 2010+ Equinox General Forum forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
2011 1LT V6 3.9k: Seems like A/C is always ON Took the vehicle on a 160-mile roundtrip drive last night. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Colt Hero is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 1LT V6 3.9k: Seems like A/C is always ON

Took the vehicle on a 160-mile roundtrip drive last night. I did NOT turn on the A/C (the "snowflake" light was OFF), but I DID select RECIRCULATE and turn on the fan. I also did NOT have the defroster on (both buttons' lights were OFF).

I definitely was getting A/C-coolish air from the ducts the entire trip. Had to turn the fan down to level 1 because it actually got too cold.

I then tried pressing the "snowflake" button to make sure it wasn't on, and when I did I saw "A/C ON" displayed on the LCD and the amber light on the button illuminated. Pressing it again displayed "A/C OFF" (and the amber light went out). So the A/C was definitely (selected to be) OFF, but I was still getting A/C-like air from the ducts.

Is this right? Is the A/C activated anyway if you turn on the fan with Recirculate selected and the A/C and defrosters both OFF???
Colt Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

2010BlkGraniteNox is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Colt Hero View Post

Took the vehicle on a 160-mile roundtrip drive last night. I did NOT turn on the A/C (the "snowflake" light was OFF), but I DID select RECIRCULATE and turn on the fan. I also did NOT have the defroster on (both buttons' lights were OFF).

I definitely was getting A/C-coolish air from the ducts the entire trip. Had to turn the fan down to level 1 because it actually got too cold.

I then tried pressing the "snowflake" button to make sure it wasn't on, and when I did I saw "A/C ON" displayed on the LCD and the amber light on the button illuminated. Pressing it again displayed "A/C OFF" (and the amber light went out). So the A/C was definitely (selected to be) OFF, but I was still getting A/C-like air from the ducts.

Is this right? Is the A/C activated anyway if you turn on the fan with Recirculate selected and the A/C and defrosters both OFF???

If you have recirculate selected, the AC is on (works that w/ the 1LT and 2LT (auto air)...if you choice outside air, ac off, then its just fan blowing

2012 Silver Imapala LT 3.6 VVT SIDI 304HP (work car)
2012 Audi A3 Sportback Premium Plus TDI (current)
2010BlkGraniteNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

I have always thought that recirculating blows the coldest air.
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Colt Hero is on a distinguished road

This is a new phenomena to me, but OK.
Colt Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Admin

Every car is different is what I always say.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lenn is on a distinguished road

This could be a software glitch. If you have electronic climate controls, take it in to the dealer and let them know about the issue... if there in fact is one. They'll let you know how the proper operation is supposed to work and if there's an actual issue, it sounds to me like a software reprogram of the ECC module should take care of things.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lenn is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dietz4ibanez View Post
I have always thought that recirculating blows the coldest air.
Recirc blows the coldest air if ambient temp is high. Reason being is that if you have the A/C on, the air temp inside the car is considerably lower than ambient. Recirc just keeps the air inside the car moving and recirculating thru the HVAC system without actually pulling in more air from the outside (warmer air), thereby maintaining a cooler temp. Basically, its cooling already cool air.

With the A/C off, thermal dynamics will eventually heat up the air inside the car thru the glass and slowly raise the temp inside the car... but still considerably slower than turning off recirc and leaving off the A/C.

The drawback to using recirc only is that its been proven by the NHTSA/IIHS to contribute to premature driver fatigue on long trips. A little fresh air by turning off the recirc can help keep you more alert for longer. Plus, the air inside the car starts to smell stale after a while.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Admin

Trust me Lenn. After a couple of hours riding in the car I have to stop for fresh air...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Mod

Z_Ghost is on a distinguished road

I supply my own fresh air, well it's not that fresh and I would have to say it's not really what you want to be breathing in.
So I do roll the windows down every now and then.
Please do not light a match in my terrain...

Have to use Recirc almost all the time not the temps are pushing 100* Takes a long time to cool it down after sitting in the sun for a few hours.
92 Z/28
60\'1.937-1/4 13.851-98.16 mph

Last edited by Z_Ghost; 07-05-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Z_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Admin

Sometimes its hard to park in that shady spot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

NoobNox is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lenn View Post
This could be a software glitch. If you have electronic climate controls, take it in to the dealer and let them know about the issue... if there in fact is one. They'll let you know how the proper operation is supposed to work and if there's an actual issue, it sounds to me like a software reprogram of the ECC module should take care of things.
It's not a glitch, the a/c compressor kicks in when you have it set to "recirc" regardless of the a/c being turned on or not. A lot of GM car/trucks do this..