Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 05-09 Equinox Maintenance

05-09 Equinox Maintenance

Should I follow oil life monitor or not?

This is a discussion on Should I follow oil life monitor or not? within the 05-09 Equinox Maintenance forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
Hi, I have used "Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance Synthetic Motor Oil" on my Equinox 2011 about a year ago ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

djnp is on a distinguished road
Default Should I follow oil life monitor or not?

Hi, I have used "Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance Synthetic Motor Oil" on my Equinox 2011 about a year ago and drove for around 5,000 miles only however, the oil life monitor is showing 15%.

So, just wondering should I ignore it and wait until I drive 5000 miles more to make it total of 10,000 miles or I need to change it since its been 1 year already.

I just checked the dipstick, it seems fine but still just wanted to make sure so I am not damaging the engine. Please kindly suggest.

Thanks!
djnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by djnp View Post
Hi, I have used "Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance Synthetic Motor Oil" on my Equinox 2011 about a year ago and drove for around 5,000 miles only however, the oil life monitor is showing 15%.

So, just wondering should I ignore it and wait until I drive 5000 miles more to make it total of 10,000 miles or I need to change it since its been 1 year already.

I just checked the dipstick, it seems fine but still just wanted to make sure so I am not damaging the engine. Please kindly suggest.

Thanks!

Here's how I roll.

If you've never changed your oil and only had 5000 miles, I would change it now. I believe in doing a early oil change on a new engine. Sometimes even performing the oil change at 3000 miles for new vehicles. This practice dates back to 1968 so I think that's why most of us are going crazy over this Oil Life Monitor system. lol

Once you get passed the first oil change I did the next thing and you did it too. I was skeptical about the OLM so I chose a better quality oil for extra piece of mind. According to GM, the OLM system will notify you that you need to change your oil and if you can't get to it right away they say it should be done within 600 miles. The OLM will vary based on city/highway driving.

When I get up to 5000 miles I simply check the oil and again at 7500 and every 2500 miles after that. I don't know if I've ever gotten that high in miles but then again, I can't recall if I've ever seen a oil life message since I bought it new.

I also run Amsoil synthetic oil. I seemed to get better performance and mileage with the Amsoil product.
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
VENDOR

Black02Silverado is on a distinguished road

I recommend changing out your oil once a year. Only exception is if you do an oil analysis and it shows that you can extend that oil change longer. Basically one year is a good rule to follow if you don't put the miles on the vehicle.

Could you go longer, probably, but there are factors like the oil's additive package being depleted in that time frame to high acid build up in the oil that would require it to be changed.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crossover Professional

prheaume is on a distinguished road

I follow the OLM to 40%, at this percentage I drop the oil and change filter. I use mineral oil and OEM filter. Mineral or Synthetic is a long terme debate but you can stick to the OLM with synthetic oil.
prheaume is offline   Reply With Quote