Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 05-09 Equinox Maintenance

05-09 Equinox Maintenance

"Dry starting" sound on cold starts after oil change

This is a discussion on "Dry starting" sound on cold starts after oil change within the 05-09 Equinox Maintenance forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
I have been exploring this online for a couple days but thought it would be helpful to see what actual ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

thuzmund is on a distinguished road
Default "Dry starting" sound on cold starts after oil change

I have been exploring this online for a couple days but thought it would be helpful to see what actual Nox owners have to say.

06 3.4L with 131K, changed oil (from valvoline high mileage to cheap walmart high mileage blend) and used a Wix filter. (nice logic, right?)

Sounds like a dry start (grinding, scratching noise for a second) on the first start of the day. After that it starts as normal.

I would swear it started after the oil change. I actually fill the filter with new oil when I change oil, but it made the sound on the first start after the change. The engine would have been fairly warm at that moment.

1) Anybody dealt with this? I think I'll probably change the oil again and see what happens, but lots of forums online have people saying don't worry about it, this little grinding is normal wear and tear.

2) More specifica question--since the 3.4L has the filter on the bottom, would a bad anti drainback valve or bypass valve on the filter cause this condition? I ask because a thread I saw said that no ADV is needed if the filter mounts "hole side up"

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
thuzmund is offline   Reply With Quote