Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 05-09 Equinox Maintenance

05-09 Equinox Maintenance

Coolant Temp Gage pegs cold

This is a discussion on Coolant Temp Gage pegs cold within the 05-09 Equinox Maintenance forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
Hi, New to forum and to Chevrolet. I recently purchased a 2007 Chevy Equinox LT with the 3.4 liter engine. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Trebor is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant Temp Gage pegs cold

Hi, New to forum and to Chevrolet.
I recently purchased a 2007 Chevy Equinox LT with the 3.4 liter engine. Twice, while running the heater, I noticed that the temperature gauge was pegged cold, that the Driver Information Center was displaying "Engine Hot A/C OFF" and that both cooling fans were running. I pulled over and checked: The engine was not hot, could squeeze radiator hoses and even open coolant reservoir. Later, after engine off for over an hour, started car (heater off) and same thing. Then, after driving for a several minutes, I happened to catch the temp gauge suddenly change from pegged cold to about half way. At that point everything returned to normal.
I gather the temp sensor is an input to the computer and that the computer drives the gauge. Makes sense that if the temp input is lost that the computer would take these actions. My question: is there some connection between the heater blend door and the temp sensor that would cause the temp sensor signal to cut out? Can't seem to find a wiring diagram on web.

Thanks, Trebor
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Svard75 is on a distinguished road

That's a great start. I would perform a coolant flush and while its empty clean the sensor. If the coolant was never flushed it could be corroded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Svard75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site! Did you get anywhere with this?
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

JohnnyWinterdaal is on a distinguished road

I had same problem. A quick solution was always to disconnect the battery cable (Prefer Negative Cable for safety reason) for a couple of seconds and reconnect. This resets the computer and voila. After replacing the THERMOSTAT the problem stayed away. most probably the thermostat gets stuck in OPEN position and the engine does not register the right temp.
JohnnyWinterdaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Kbulldude is on a distinguished road

I’m having this same issue. I’m receiving a P0118 code that will not clear and immediately shows back up after clearing and key is in on position. I also have the “engine hot a/c off” on the instrument cluster”. Temp gauge is pegged at cold and both fans stay running. I’ve changed the temp sensor and thermostat. I have 5 volts at the coolant temp sensor harness and not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kbulldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

dmaxweb1 is on a distinguished road

Where is the temperature sensor on 2011 Equinox 2.4l ?
dmaxweb1 is offline   Reply With Quote