Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 05-09 Equinox General Forum

05-09 Equinox General Forum

Equinox 2018 - disable auto stop feature

This is a discussion on Equinox 2018 - disable auto stop feature within the 05-09 Equinox General Forum forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
The auto stop feature in my new Equinox is driving me crazy. I live in traffic plagued southern California, where ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

JGreg7 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Equinox 2018 - disable auto stop feature

The auto stop feature in my new Equinox is driving me crazy. I live in traffic plagued southern California, where creeping along is a way of life. The Auto Stop feature keeps killing the car while in traffic or in parking lots, and has almost caused me to be rear-ended several times.

It also takes too long to start, causing a lag when trying to pull out into traffic. A very dangerous problem.

The concept is generally useful, however the implementation is poorly done. There needs to be a programmable delay before the car simply turns off, or better yet a switch to disable it when in traffic.

Is there any way to turn this feature off?
JGreg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

There has to be a way to disable it. I would also reach out to your dealers service department to see what they say about turning it off or maybe even a reprogramming flash for it to work better.
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

c&wsinbad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dietz4ibanez View Post
There has to be a way to disable it. I would also reach out to your dealers service department to see what they say about turning it off or maybe even a reprogramming flash for it to work better.
You can disable it, but not permanently. On transmission selector, shift to "L" and then use the +/- button on the top of the shift lever to set the range to "9" (look in the Drivers Information Center for the range indicator; it will appear as L2, L3, L4, etc depending on what you have set it as.) Once the transmission is in "L" and range set to 9, the transmission will shift thru all gears as it normally would, but "auto start/stop" will not activate. You will need to do this every time you start the Equinox.
c&wsinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

JGreg7 is on a distinguished road
Default Tried the following...

I have tried the following:

I asked the dealer if they could turn off the Auto Stop feature, or alternatively change the delay (increase) so the Auto Stop would wait a bit for momentary stops such as traffic.
The dealer replied that this was not possible since the programming was not changeable.

Also, I have used the manual gear shift selection, while this does work, with 9 gears to cycle through every time I shift the car into manual, it is becoming a nuisance that I should not have to endure.

I am looking for some method of disabling this feature, or installing a switch to allow me to choose when it is applied. I would even settle for an increase delay in the shut-off timing to prevent nuisance activation.
JGreg7 is offline   Reply With Quote