Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Equinox, Terrain & SRX Modifications > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications

Burning oil

This is a discussion on Burning oil within the Engine & Performance Modifications forums, part of the Equinox, Terrain & SRX Modifications category!
We have a 2012 Equinox with a little over 100,000 miles. My wife always has always had her oil changed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

PerkM530 is on a distinguished road
Default Burning oil

We have a 2012 Equinox with a little over 100,000 miles. My wife always has always had her oil changed at a national store. She recently told me the tech had her sign a waver because the engine was dangerously low on oil. This happened twice as I started to talk to local mechanics who said it may be due to low viscosity oil. I started to change the oil myself with no change. I just added 3 quarts of oil after just 3000 miles. When I called a Chevy dealer I was told this was normal.
Another friend mentioned that he has heard of this and there my be a recall out there.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a practical fix or should I get rid of the vehicle? We will take a lose to get rid of is so I hope we can correct the issue.

Thank you
Mark
PerkM530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Maris2277 is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue. Not great with cars but I had to bring it in every 1000 miles for them to monitor. Turns out it was burning the oil about a quart every thousand. They did a recall of some part (sorry again bad with cars) and low and behold having the same issue. They told me bring it in every thousand again before they will repair AGAIN. thwy should honor this for you. My friends actually blew up bc she didn't know about the recall
Maris2277 is offline   Reply With Quote