View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek is on a distinguished road

Sorry, sounds like you got hosed. I just went through the same thing after purchasing a 2013 Equinox LT that only came with one key. I have replaced key fobs for other vehicles and usually found it cheaper to get one online.

I did some calling around and found (to my surprise) that the cheapest place to get the key for the Equinox was from the local Chevrolet dealership. I purchased the switchblade key fob and had it cut for a combined cost of ~$60.

You can program it yourself. All you have to do is take the working key, insert it into the ignition and turn it to the "on" position for about 10 seconds. You don't have to actually start the vehicle, but it doesn't hurt anything if you do. After that time, remove the key pre-existing key, insert the new key and turn it to the "on" position. Leave it there for about 10 seconds again.

What this does is basically tell the vehicle's computer, "look, I'm legitimate and I have a legitimate key. Will you now learn this new key too?"

So in the future, I would ask your dealership if you can purchase the switchblade key fob from them, have them cut it and NOT program it so you can do that part yourself.
LurpyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote