View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
mark44004

mark44004 is on a distinguished road
Angry

We bought this Equinox new with 218 miles on it in 2011. I've always put in Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic oil from day one. This is my wife's work vehicle and she'll put almost 3000 miles on it a month.

When I've done the oil changes in the latter part of 2014, I've noticed only about 3 quarts coming out of it. We took it to our Chevy dealership and they wanted to monitor the oil levels over a period of time and check it every 1000 miles. We did for a while but they found nothing so we stopped going. The last oil change was low. Because we didn't continue coming every 1000 miles (which would have been every 3 or 4 days) they can't do anything for us. But at least 1 1/2 quarts are going somewhere. Today we took it in for a check engine light and had them check the oil level as well because of excessive ticking. Again, when the engine says time for an oil change, we do it. Today I am told that the piston rings need replacing and that a valve does too. This car has 107000 miles on it and no way should this be happening already. I have seen a TSB about a pcv valve that needs to be replaced in connection to the oil issue.

If GM doesn't take care of this, this will be the last Chevy we buy. We bought a new Chevy Cobal in 2006 and the infamous engine shutdown occurred way before it hit the news. I complained about that one and everyone thought I was stupid.

I just called my wife who is very upset because the piston ring replacement to rectify the oil consumption is going to cost $2900. Ridiculous.

I will be contacting GM directly.
mark44004 is offline   Reply With Quote