2019 Equinox paint on hood edge is bubbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickyZ88

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue!

I have a 2019 Equinox in Black. I’ve been to two dealerships who both told me it’s not covered. I reached out to GM and had a representative contact me. As of this past week, I was told to bring the car back to the dealer and ask the service department to put in a request to have a GM field expert visit the dealership to make the final call. I’ve been dealing with this issue since March 2023.

The hood must be replaced. It’s a galvanized aluminum hood. Aluminum doesn’t rust. This is called galvanic corrosion. Repairing it will not fix the problem. Then entire hood needs to be replaced. Apparently it’s a coating issuing during production. I’m the original owner of the vehicle and paid for extended warranties.

I was verbally quoted about $1,500 to replace the hood.

Becky

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue!

I have a 2019 Equinox in Black. I’ve been to two dealerships who both told me it’s not covered. I reached out to GM and had a representative contact me. As of this past week, I was told to bring the car back to the dealer and ask the service department to put in a request to have a GM field expert visit the dealership to make the final call. I’ve been dealing with this issue since March 2023.

The hood must be replaced. It’s a galvanized aluminum hood. Aluminum doesn’t rust. This is called galvanic corrosion. Repairing it will not fix the problem. Then entire hood needs to be replaced. Apparently it’s a coating issuing during production. I’m the original owner of the vehicle and paid for extended warranties.

I was verbally quoted about $1,500 to replace the hood.
Hi Nicky! Sorry to hear you are having the same issue but also glad to see your post. I spoke to Consumer Protection in Wisconsin again and they told me that I could email them that I don’t agree with their decision to not replace the hood using the corrosion warranty or not and also explain why I feel that GM should replace the hood because it is a defect and it was not caused by me. So on Monday, I will be sending that email. I have not been offered to have anyone from GM look at my hood as of now anyway. Please keep me posted on how that turns out for you. I was quoted about $2200 to replace the hood. I agree replacing is not the thing to do. I will be updating my post here as I go forward. Good luck.

Becky

Reaction score
Hi Nicky! Sorry to hear you are having the same issue but also glad to see your post. I spoke to Consumer Protection in Wisconsin again and they told me that I could email them that I don’t agree with their decision to not replace the hood using the corrosion warranty or not and also explain why I feel that GM should replace the hood because it is a defect and it was not caused by me. So on Monday, I will be sending that email. I have not been offered to have anyone from GM look at my hood as of now anyway. Please keep me posted on how that turns out for you. I was quoted about $2200 to replace the hood. I agree replacing is not the thing to do. I will be updating my post here as I go forward. Good luck.
Oops meant: “repairing the hood” is not the thing to do.

Members online

No members online now.